Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just got a notice from Tremec of a 3.5% price increase effective 5-15-04 because of the price increase in steel. I can't stand this stuff!! What am I supposed to do? Who wants to pay more? I certainly don't...
Mike Forte

·
15,282 Posts
I had the same issue. Was originally planning on doing a non-donor and using Forte for all my parts, but lack of response convinced me that a donor was the way to go. I'll just buy my special bits from the vendors now, I guess.

If there's not one already (none I know of), a vendor could make good money here by working specifically with people that don't want to buy and tear down a donor. Provide everything they need, as well as some "options," and really go beyond the "donor pallet" as far as service. They'd have had my money in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
I just got a confirmation on the price increase will not include units or any of the new TKO 500 or TKO 600. As for E-mails, please put something in the subject line as I receive at least 200 spams per day.
Mike Forte

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Mike has always responded very promptly to my emails and has always given good advice with fair prices.

I too am experiencing the 100 plus spam emails each day and I am sure I have deleted some important stuff along the way.

Arch

·
15,282 Posts
Looks like my point needs clarifying. I didn't intend to criticize Mike. We all get a ton of e-mail we don't want and don't need. It's just part of life until laws become enforceable or technology improves to block some of this junk.

My point was more that I got really intimidated by trying to pick all the right parts for a "non-donor" build. I was hoping to single-source them from one person, and was unsuccessful. So I'm winding up doing a budget-build with a donor. That's cool too.

The REAL point is that someone needs to cater ONLY to the non-donor guys, and specialize in putting together custom crates with everything they need to finish a car out to their specifications. Is anyone providing that service? I promise there's value there, and people would be willing to pay for the luxury of not having backorders, not chasing parts, not writing a hundred different checks to different vendors, and so on. Free idea -- someone take it and run with it! :D

·
3,760 Posts
Man, I sure am glad there's a Tremec 3550 sitting in my garage! :D

DukeGrad, check the FAQ section of this forum. There is a non-donor build parts list there that is EXCELLENT. You can download it into Excel. I did that, saved the original, and kept massaging new versions of it till it looked like the car I wanted to build.

My spreadsheet doesn't look much like the original, but I couldn't have done it without the baseline. And the fact that I have an every-nut-and-bolt "real" budget laid out (with a COMPLETE parts list) means I know how many receipts I have to hide from my bride to stay under the "agreed" budget!! :D

AJ

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi AJ,
How's your car coming along? If you have an Excel file available I'd love to be able to use it. Someday when spam is gone & I get to know how to use a computer I'll be able to save at least 2 hours a day to increase productivity.
Mike Forte

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Mike, just a word of advice. If you are getting 200 spams a day you should seriously consider changing Internet Service Providers AND your email address. I've had the same email address for 2 years now and I get NO spam. You might also consider having an email address for your personal correspondence and one for the business that your employees can check for you.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
280 Posts
Duke,
Did you check out Breeze? Mark is a forum sponsor and sells a lot of what us non dodnr builders need. While he does a lot with individual parts, he also has package deals where he supplies everything you need for specific areas of the build. For instance last week I got the package that includes everything for the fuel supply system. All new all from one source, with all the information and advice you can ask for.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,291 Posts
Everything is going up in price these days and since the economy is not too great who is getting pay increases? Did everyone see that milk went up like 55 cents a gallon today! whats the deal. Sorry for the rant, I just hate when they try to sqeeze every dime they can out of us.

Nathan

·
15,282 Posts
Beef prices are up, cows get slaughtered, and there's not as many to milk. Economy 101 at work. And yes, it sucks! :D

Yes, now that I'm learning more and more about these vehicles, I see the routes you can take to a non-donor build. I ran into two problems: intimidation, and budget. In the end, the combo pushed me into the donor build. I'm not too upset about it, though, because it coincided with the MKIII availability, and I can use a really new donor at a reasonable cost.

I'm not expressing one point clearly... While guys like Mike and Breeze all sell parts, components, and even entire assemblies, I don't know of anyone that offers everything you need to have a "turnkey" FFR. The factory won't build a car. But what if a supplier could build a custom pallet, individual to each customer, containing every part for every option and spec they wanted on their FFR? That'd be awesome. Think of an "options sheet" at your typical new-car dealer. Something you run down with him on the phone, and a truck like Stewart brings the magic crate you need to finish your FFR kit exactly the way you envisioned it, all at once. That's what I'm getting at. I know plenty of people could do it, but I don't know of anyone advertising the ability. There MUST be more demand than just me!

These things have a way of working themselves out. Thanks to the vendors that pull us out when we're in over our heads or decide to take a different route.

John

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
First off, Mike, that sucks that the prices went up. After looking at the cost of a T-500, I ended up buying a reconditioned T5 for $600. Not what I wanted, but I couldn't justify the nearly $2k for the tremec and now it's going to be worse. I'll give you a call when I'm ready to buy a crate motor, since you're the man to buy from. Hiring Paul showed you have a lot of class . . . or your nuts :D . Either way, you have my respect.

Secondly, I've had tons of fun searching for and buying parts over the last month. As I read all the posts that come up daily and search the archives, I start to understand each component of the car and order parts accordingly. Breeze is shipping my tie-rods, Autozone supplied the manual rack, tri-states sent me very nice pre-bent brake lines, and I bought the worst possible tires (kuhmo 712s), but I'm really understanding all of the parts of the vehicle that I didn't before. Even if a new-part pallet was available, I think my parts selection have been so specific that it wouldn't have fit my needs. To each their own.

-Robert

·
FFCobra Fanatic
280 Posts
John,
I'm in the business of selling/building pre-engineered steel buildings, you think Mike has price increase problems? The whole industry is "NUTS". Its been eight months since a major hardwood flooring supplier I do business with knew how much a tractor trailer load of wood was going to cost him prior to delivery at his dock. The supplier I use for steel studs (carpentry framing) doesn't know how much he'll have to pay for materials he has on order (3-5 week lead time) untill five days before they ship. The company that manufactures buildings for me has had three steel price increases already this year (total 21%), all with less then 15 days notice, all took effect immediately, and all effected finisg product he committed to ship with 8-10 week devivery dates. Local suppliers of steel mesh for concrete floors have increased prices from $5.90 (per 5' X 10' sheet) to $15.85 in the past three months and will no longer quote prices on anything that they don't actually have in stock ( for delivery same date as quoted). I could go on for three pages, but you get the idea!

·
Senior Charter Member
2,275 Posts
[ May 06, 2004, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: slaga ]

·
What was I doing?
394 Posts
Guys, let me tell ya, if the price is only going up 3.5%, Tremec is probably eating another 10% that they are not passing along. Steel prices have doubled in the last six weeks. Stainless and aluminum have been going way up for a while too. The chinese are buying all the damn metal in the world and it is causing serious manufacturing problems here in the US. We have to wait constantly for the same materials we used to get overnight PLUS we have to pay more for this new lack of service. This is what our population gets for having all this free traded forced upon us by our government!

Cliff

·
3,760 Posts
Hello back atcha Mike, well the bad news is that the Roadster isn’t very far along, but the good news is that the foyer looks great with all my custom shadow boxes and chair rails! :rolleyes: But I try to do something on the car every day, at least every day that I’m home. But I’m probably still catching up with Paul, huh? :D

DukeGrad, a big factor for me in my decision to go with FFR was the incredible set of vendors on this forum like Mike Forte and Mark Reynolds (Breeze). Mike sold me everything from the flywheel back for my driveline, and I think that Mark at Breeze is the ticket for a lot of stuff. I just put in a call to Mark this morning, I’ll be using Breeze’s Eze-paks for my fuel system, steering, and cooling, Street Performer seat tracks, plus a bunch of small bits. What you see on the Breeze website is just the beginning, he has tons of small detailed parts in his catalogue, if you don’t have one I recommend highly that you contact Mark and get one, even if you go the donor route. Don’t mean to leave anyone out, I’ve already purchased stuff from other vendor-sponsors and all have been very helpful – I know I’m going to screw up at some point during this build, and there is no doubt in my mind that our vendor-sponsors will be able to fix whatever I break.

I’ve never attempted a project like this before, but the array of vendors here really gave me confidence that I could manage a non-donor build.

AJ

·
FFCobra Fanatic
280 Posts
Cliff,
The crazy steel price situation we have thust upon us is not due to the free trade situation as much as other government intervention. About a year ago the Bush administration bowed to the US Steel industry and put a 30% imbargo on all steel coming into this country. This was to help our uncompetitive union steel industry survive! The next day the US suppiers announced three price increases that totalled just over 20%, and took effect over a 2-3 month period. That was the first "shot" we took!

Because US prices were 10% lower than non US (after the imbargo), people stopped buying non US Steel. This was what the government wanted, but they didn't figure on the secondary ramifications. The US mills were not able to supply all the demand (they had gradually cut back on production over the years and not kept plants up to current standards due to lower demands caused by the competition). This caused shortages and back orders, which caused additional price increases (supply and demand driven). It also caused the mills in other countries to seek other places to sell their wares. China was in the market, and signed contracts for all the product that had been coming to the US before our government made them uncompetitive.

Next: A couple months ago the government realized that we were runing into steel supply problems and lifted the imbargo. You'd think that would have solved the problem......but it didn't! The other countries now want to sell to us, but have to fulfill their other contracts first. This means it will be several more months before the steel that was diverted elsewhere can start coming back to the good old USA. To complicate matters further, the Chinise (knowing they are going to soon loose the current supply of steel) have been buying every pound of scrap steel they can find in this country and stock piling it so they can keep going when we start getting the new stuff. Because much of the steel produced in this country is made from remanufactured steel (this is why you can't fix a dented fender on cars anymore), having all this scrap steel shipped overseas is increasing the shortage. A big fire at the largest coke producing plant in North America this winter didn't help the matter either!

What this all comes down to is that, once again, we'd all be better off if the government stayed out of business!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts