Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased my FFR Mark II! Will pick up next week. I am using a 302 (EFI) and have heard the Tremec TKO is the tranny to go with. I like the shifter location option. Is this the best Tranny? Where is a good place to get one?
Thanks for your Help!

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
If you're not going to heavily modify your 302, you'd be better off w/ the T5Z. It doesn't have the forward shifter location, but it shifts much nicer than the TKO. If you go w/ a Tremec, the 3550 is plenty strong and uses a standard Mustang clutch. The only difference in the jump to the TKO is a heavier input and output shaft. It requires a chevy type clutch and a C6 output yoke (comes w/ trans).

EDIT - almost forgot..... Mike Forte at Forte's Parts has good pricing on Tremecs and knows the FFR well.

[ August 23, 2002, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Wade Chamberlain ]

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
JDCobra - The 3550 and TKO both have 3 different possible shifter positions. It kcomes stock with the rear shifter which puts the shift in the same place in the cockpit as the T-5. The mid-shift option is pretty pricey (I think it was like $350 bucks extra) but it puts the shifter is the right place in the cockpit and eliminates that up & down shifter thingy. There is also a forward shift position option if you want. I am not sure how that would fit in a Cobra, might be kinda close to the firewall. You will not, however, be able to put an aftermarket shifter on the TKO if you get the mid or forward position option. You will probably not be able to hurt a 3550 even with tons of horsepower. The TKO is virtually indestructable. While it does shift klunky compared to a T-5, it will smooth out quite a bit after breakin and by using the right (GM Synchro) fluid. If you go with the Tremec, might as well put the McLeod bell housing on too (safety issue - probably needed more on a T-5 though). The TKO also used a different spline count on the clutch so you will have to get one of those too. Also, the output shaft is a different spine count and you will need to change yokes. Mike Forte is the man when it comes to the Tremecs. Make sure that if you get the TKO you have him send you the new clutch and yoke. Also, most important, get him to send you his custom (that's a joke Mike) alignment tool, you will absolutely need it. All in all, the 3550's and especially the TKO's are quite an expense but if you are thinking serious horsepower and torque they are pretty much a must (unless you like removing T-5s from finished Cobras for rebuilds).

Frank n Sons.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,406 Posts
Will a T-5 handle 350-360 horsepower out of a 302 in an FFR with 275 width rear tires? Will it hold with 315 width rear tires?

·
Befuddled
560 Posts
According to Mike Forte, the MK II frame has a brace right where the mid-shift position is, so you're pretty much stuck with the rear position unless you want to start cutting on the frame. I plan on a 3550 with a Pro 5.0 shifter.

·
6,546 Posts
T - 5 is fine for a stock to MILD 302, but past that it's borrowed time before it's a box of broken parts.

350 - 360 HP, if it hooks will trash the normal T-5 trans if you speed shift it at all or go into 5th under power. Go for a T5Z Minimum.

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
What a bunch of BS the T-5 will hold up well in a 2200 pound car. I ran 12.56 in the quarter, consistently autocrossed all the time had a blast and never hurt the t-5. With slicks and a ton, say 500 hp, then go with a tremec. Jesper ran 598 hp with a T-5 for years and it finally let go. The car ran 10.90s with a T-5. Get a good T-5 and a good shifter and you should be fine. With your EFI 302 it will last for ever. NOW don't expect it to last forever with a blower (Wade) and/or nitrous. This is just my opinion. Remember the car is so light that without slicks it is hard to hurt a good T-5. Cheers Richard.

·
6,546 Posts
Nevermind.

[ August 24, 2002, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Ozona ]

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Richard has very good points. I think the whole issue is not how much HP/TQ the car can produce, it's how much can you hook up.

My donor T5 performed great for 18000 HARD miles, drag racing, etc. Then, one day after having my car on the chassis dyno, 3rd gear blew up. For whatever reason, the dyno guy did the pulls in 3rd gear, and my car put down 343 ft-lb of torque AT THE WHEELS, which is about 410+ ft-lb that the trans was seeing. I'm convinced that the trans never saw the full torque of my engine until that day on the dyno. It was the only time I ever hooked that much up!

·
6,559 Posts
Can you use a 5.0 Pro Shifter on a 3550?

·
6,546 Posts
Todd:

You can, they make one for the 3550.

The mount for the shifter is different shaped so the T-5 one won't work.

Regarding the transmission?

A little overkill is just right IMHO. ;)

·
Befuddled
560 Posts
Don't take this as gospel, but my understanding is that they make a Pro 5.0 shifter for the mid and rear 3550 positions, but not the forward position.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi,
I stock the Tremec 3550 & TKO. I also have the roadrace versions too. If you use a McLeod bellhousing the front mounting bolt holes need to be machined and the tailshaft housing need to be machined to clear the x-member. I machine these to fit for FREE. Of coarse you need to purchase the Tremec from me though. As Frank said I do have TKO clutch alignment a "tool". I also have all of the clutch related parts, bellhosing, mount kits with bolts and even new T-5 HD trannies.
Mike Forte
781-273-9900

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.