Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys ive been doing some research on the tremec tko 600. It seems to have a lot of problems with it! ive heard stories of it not shifting at rmps higher than 5600, stories of it leaking and other shifting problems, and these stories are all from new tremecs. so my question is... is it the right choice? I really like the transmission with its high hp handling capabilities, but I dont want something that I have to buy 10 other aftermarket parts just to get it to work right. Ive got a 302 stroked & bored to a 347 with 450 hp and 451 torque dyno specs. So any comments of owners or someone whos already gone through this same fiasco, some input would be greatly appreciated. In the meen time I'll keep reading posts trying to decide. thank you for your time.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I have a 4-speed toploader behind my big block and I love it. It will give you the same shifting feel as the original cobras back in the 60's.

http://www.4speedtoploaders.com

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,767 Posts
My 430HP 347 has a new T5Z behind it with a Pro-5.0 and it shifts like butter. I have been advised to avoid drag shifts and so far I havent wanted to. Its a great tranny
Steve

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Gordon's a great guy. Get your questions together cause he's got the answers.

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
I use a Tremec TKO. Yes, I think shifting is a little bit notchy. But I like that. I've driven a new Mustang that shifts real nice. But it felt way too rubbery for me.

I shift at 6,200 on a regular basis. Shifts just fine.

Finding 5th at high speed (140'ish) takes a little practice, though.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
my vote:toploader

c

·
Junior Charter Member
849 Posts
What makes the toploader so good? My car came with a T-5, solid as a rock.

What transmission is the "rock crusher"? I've driven a few mid-year Corvette's with this unit, talk about solid!!

·
Charter Member
103 Posts
I have a '65 Toploader in my Contemporary behind a 429. No problems after 15 years. I wanted to keep the car as accurate and period correct as possible. Runs great up to 55, over that its a bit loud, don't run over that for long time periods. They are pretty bullet proof and while many parts aren't available from Ford, several vendors, David Kee and Dan Williams can supply parts and rebuild kits. I've heard from several sources that most NASCAR teams, all makes and models, still use the Toploader.

Al

·
pizza connoisseur
900 Posts
Going TKO-600 myself... The long trips I plan with this car wont do very well with a 1:00:1 final transmission ratio. Even with a 3.08 rear end it would be too high of rpms for me to travel 75 mph across Texas with only 4 gears. So I think it all depends on intended use.

320 Posts
TKO's are good to about 6500, past that they can lock up. I was told that Tremec is working on the fix.
I,m building a tight winding 347 for my next car, will probably check out the beefed up t5's.
Rick

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I heard the fluid might be the problem. Royal Purple or the GM (yuk) syncromesh fluid works best. Any others ideas?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts