Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my tranny back today YAHOOO!!
So now I need to get it mated to the engine. Just to be on the safe side I'm going to ask the "DUH" question:
Can I just line it up with the splines and put it through the clutch arm to mount, or is there anything else I need to look for.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
If the clutch disc and pressure plate have not been removed since the transmission was removed, yes, you can just bolt it back together. BY your question it sounds like the bell housing is still on the car, so bolting it back together should be pretty straight forward.

If They have been removed you must make sure it is all aligned properly, this is done witha clutch alignment tool.

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Howdy John,

You will need a clutch alinement tool.

You can get them at any of the Big Box Store auto parts places. It's made out of plastic and only cost a few bucks.

It's pretty simple to use too.........

Paul

P.S. I had to pull the trans, bellhousing, clutch assmy and flywheel due to a leaking freeze plug and now I'm trying to reinstall everything without any luck. :(

The trans likes about 3/4" of bolting up and for the life of me I cannot get it to go the rest of the way into place. It feels like the input shaft is hanging up on the pilot bearing. I've pulled the trans and double checked the clutch disc/pilot bearing alinement and everything "appears" to be ok. I've stabbed 100's of transmissions down through the years and this one has me stumped. The sad part is the fact that I've had this setup together several times without any problems.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The guy that build my engine, put on the clutch and bell housing too. You think I still need the tool, or how can I see if he did?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
431 Posts
even with the alignment tool it's not always perfect. I used the tool and than tried the trany and had to readjust slightly than installed the bellhousing and tried the trany again to be shure.
on mine I put the trany in the car first and then slid the engine onto the trany. worked good.
Chaz....

·
Registered
918 Posts
transmission install

If you can, install a yolk in the tail of the trans and put it in gear. That way if the splines aren't aligned to the disc you can turn the yolk a little and help the splines on the trans drop into the disc. When the transmission is in neutral sometimes the splines won't drop in and trying to turn the trans don't help it just rotates around the shaft.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
When I put mine together I had the BH indexed to make sure it was centered then bolted up my TKO-600 before I put it in the car. Took a bit of wiggling to get it to slide together but with the assembly out of the car I was able to make sure of the T bearing fitment etc. If your motor is in the car check with the alignment tool shown. When I did this with the motor in the car I use two long bolts that I cut the heads off of to act as alignment pins on the bottom side of the trans and screwed them into the bellhosing. These center the trans in the BH and as you move it slowly forward you can check the gap around the opening and wiggle the clutch arm to make sure the throwout bearing is not binding.
HTH
CB

·
Premium Member
9,127 Posts
Hi John,
I think you'll need a trans spacer to level the engine.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So after all your advise I attempted to install the tranny without any luck.
Called Mike Forte in regards to his post and he told me to engage the clutch when installing the tranny.
So below you can see the jack is under the tail with the drive shaft in there in order to be able to put in it gear, and rotate the output shaft to line up the splines. The clamp is engaging the clutch and after a little fideling it went in all the way.
Paul maybe this is what your issue is too??

Cleaned up the tranny a little before I put the whole thing in the frame.

John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.