Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost ready to go-cart. I'm double checking everything, adding fluids...DISASTER!!
I stupidly try to remove the 13/16 hex on the drivers side of the transmission thinking this is the level-check plug. It's not. It looks to be some sort of cantilevered shaft. I managed to screw it out far enough to pop a retaining ring off of the end causing untold damage to my transmission.
I was hoping to remove the main top cover of the transmission to assess the damage. It appears that this cover doesn't come off without major disassembly. It looks like the engine and transmission have to come out to fix this.
Can anyone offer advice. I think the transmission is out of an '83 mustang but has recently been rebuilt.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Gary,
You should be able to remove the driveshaft,( remove the drain plug and drain the trans first ), then unbolt the trans from the bellhousing and slide it back up into the rear area of the trans tunnel. You'll probably have to rotate it 90 degrees and remove the shifter in order to slide it back far enough. This will allow you to remove the bellhousing from the back of the block, and then slide the trans forward and out of the bottom of the car.

Check hear and download a T5 manual for illustrations and help.

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/media/pdfs_autogen/T-5_Service_Manual.pdf

I just did the reverse ( installed ) a T3550 and it was significantly more difficult than the T5 that used to be in there. The T5 is much lighter, and it's smaller.

If you didn't screw it up, at least you'll have some practice getting it out of the assembled car. You might need that practice with that year of trans, because it's torque rating is fairly low. If your 302 is very mild or stock, you should be ok, but otherwise that older trans might not survive long.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts