Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the engine and trans on the car but the trans mount its about 1" too short, it won't touch the cross member, do I need some kind of spacer Or a bigger rubber/polyurethane trans mount?

I search but nothing came up

Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
can you post a little pic so we can see precisely what it is?

Coincidentally i just installed my engine and tranny this evening, and the tranny mount landed blam in the middle of the mount plate on the cross member.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a quick pic,

You can see the black polyurethane mount, the trans cross member and the gold grade 8 bolts going from the bottom of the cross member to the trans mount,

I was not aware of something needing trimming on my tremec?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a web search and some confusing info comes up, I found that if I have a s10 tail end then it need trimming somewhere, but. Also found that a tremec on a MKIII (which I have) with the rear round frame tube move a inch back from previous models just need a spacer from forte or some washer stacked as a spacer works too

Can somebody confirm and give me some peace of mind before I go to sleep, or try to sleep which I will probably won't be able too if I have this on my mind:confused1: :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I will try to help.

First let me say that I have no idea about an S10 tail mod.
When you say "short", I assume that you are saying that the transmission does not come down enough vertically to sit on the trans mount and not the holes in the trans not lining up front to back to the mount.
On a regular Tremec, there is an area on the bottom of the trans near the rear that needs to be removed so that it will drop onto the mount.

The stack of washers or spacer have to do with adjusting pinion angle to the rear end and not the initial installation of the transmission.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes the bolts line up fine, the polyurethane mount does not drop all the way down on the cross member, I threw in a straight edge and the slip yoke on the trans seems to line up pretty good with the rear end, but I guess I am going to have to get under the car for a few hours tomorrow getting hot aluminum shavings on my face :sad:

·
Out of Time
1,523 Posts
I can't see the rest of your transmission, so it's hard to say if you need to trim the 'tail' (which means the tab underneath the bottom/rear of your transmission tail).

If your 'tail' is not hitting the frame, then you simply need some spacers (available from Forte). As indicated above, they are (also) used for getting the proper pinion angle. In my case, I used five 1/4" spacers.

See pics below.

'Tab On'

'Tab gone'

Spacers

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I can't see the rest of your transmission, so it's hard to say if you need to trim the 'tail' (which means the tab underneath the bottom/rear of your transmission tail).

If your 'tail' is not hitting the frame, then you simply need some spacers (available from Forte). As indicated above, they are (also) used for getting the proper pinion angle. In my case, I used five 1/4" spacers.

'Tab On'

Ok, I cut off the torque arm tab/boss and its not hitting the round frame tube, but now the trans is hitting the front of the A trans crossmember, and still not sitting on the polyurethane mount, is it normal for the trans cross member needing some notching?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I used an S10 Midshift

I used a tranny mount from a Chevy and I had to make a spacer. It was right at about 1 inch if I recall.. Some use the ford the tranny mount for the T-5 that has a spacer on it but won't line up so mounting holes need to be drilled. It is not a big deal either way. You just have to make it fit. JJ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.