Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using an older TKO, with the stock Tremec shifter. Great trans. A little big and heavy, but holds up to abuse really well.

The shifting is a little notchy. But nothing unbearable. I think it's better than my stock '08 Mustang - which I find to be a little vague and rubbery.

Since new, I have used the recommended GM Synchromesh fluid. I usually change it once or twice a year depending on how much track time I get. This time, I decided to use Royal Purple; I have RP stuff in the crank case and diff, so why not? And, it's slightly cheaper than the GM stuff.

I'm surprised to find that it makes a noticable improvement in shifter feel! I didn't think I would notice anything at all, especially on the street. But it shifts a little smoother and with less effort, especially 2-3. The 5th gear whine is still there, and I don't think that changed any.

I am surprised, and pleased. :001_smile:

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,071 Posts
Bob,

I use Royal Purple in my Astro T-5 & really like it! Some buddies have made the switch to"RP" in their trannies have also noted smoother/easyier shifting. Good Stuff!
HTH

Butch

I also use "RP" in my rear-end(roadster!):001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
We do the Purple as well as Redline/Amsoil/Spectro ect

Just to put it out there.
1] Tremec REQUIRES Syncromesh for their warranty

2] In over 15 years of doing this here and there about 1 in 10 has an issue with other types of fluid

3] In a racing enviorment the synthetic fluid is sometimes too slippery & can cause other shifting issues [syncros spinning and not allowing gear change]

Steve

·
Premium Member
18,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No too worried about the warrenty.

I'll keep an eye/ear out for any detrimental changes.

I don't race again until next month. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanx for the heads up on these issues, I appreciate that.

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
I've used Royal Purple's "SynchroMax" (Their version of SynchroMesh) and liked it.. While 3rd gear on the TR3550 would grind periodically on a fast up shift with regular SynchroMesh - it did it a lot less frequently with the RP stuff..

http://www.royalpurple.com/manual-transmission-fluid.html

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
This is interesting to read! My T 5 is fresh and dry so I guess I'll have to use what the warranty requires. It reminds me of a similar discovery a few years ago when I changed oil in my push mower. I had been using cheap Wally World oil in it since it was a old push mower. I happened to be fresh out of Wally's El Cheapo and put some Valvoline in it and I was suprised it actually ran quieter and smoother.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I Had A 1 transmission in Denver build a T5 for me and they recommend Mobil 1 10w30. Any thoughts? -- Chuck

·
Premium Member
18,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For a custom made transmission, I would use whatever the builder recommended.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts