Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my problem.

old problem 5th gear whines....livable.
New problem....yesterday took the car hard to 6K, in first, let off the accel and a very loud noise coming from the tranny or at least from the tunnel. Sounded like a growl...

Slow normal use everything seems OK.

Any Ideas???

Mike

[ August 07, 2002, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: mikiec ]

·
Registered
727 Posts
Throw-out bearing maybe? I am having a similar situation when I take the car over 4K rpm's. It kinda growls from the front of the tranny after that and goes away when I push in the clutch. Once the car sits for a bit and cools off, the noise disappears. No problem with any gears or anything. I have had several people listen to it; all concur it's the throw out. The car drives great and isn't effected by the "growl", so I will wait to until the Fall to replace the bearing, which I am told is fine

Is your situation similar?

Phil

[ August 07, 2002, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Phil Manro ]

·
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phil,

Kinda sounds the same....except when I first heard it the car had been in the garage for a couple of days. Don't want to say cooled off as nothing cools off here this time of the year. I'll try it again tonight and see what happens when I depress the clutch.

Thanks,
Mike

·
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Phil,

Gordon responded on the other forum and suggested I try changing tranny fluid first. I'll do that this weekend and post my results.

If that does not help I'm going to have him check it out.

Mike

[ August 07, 2002, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: mikiec ]

·
Registered
727 Posts
Sounds like a good idea Mike. Let me know how you make out.

Phil

·
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Phil,

I changed the fluid this past week....Got a chance to get the car out and test it. Seems OK. I'll put another 1000 miles on her in the next 2 weeks or so..I'll let you know if it is still OK.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts