Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using EFI, is there any reason to keep any of the wires going ot the transmission? Back up lights can be a toggle on the dash.
Does the EEC use the speed sensor?

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
I don't think you'll get a simple answer.

I have EFI and didn't connect my Variable Speed Sensor...so far, no stalling problems.

Other guys have stalling problems that go away when they connect the VSS. I ran the harness and kept my VSS handy in case of future problems. I would have connected it in the first place, but the speedo cable I got didn't fit in the VSS, so instead of returning the cable, I just took out the VSS.

Some guys don't even run the trans harness at all.

Not the simple answer you're looking for...sorry.

·
Just Pluggin Along
1,175 Posts
Ditto on the VSS. I am using it, others do not.

I found that my clutch safety switch was routed throught the trans harness and would not let the car start unless the harness was hooked up. Something to trace down and splice.

In a nut shell, as long as you traced the circuits and made fixes, you could eliminate the trans harness.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,270 Posts
My experience w/EEC is the less you eliminate, the more reliably the car runs. I used the trans harness and connected the neutral (in this case I didn't use the clutch switch) switch, the back up light switch and the the speed sensor wires. I used Ron Morris's eliminator kits to by-pass the the canister and smog wiring I took out. Car runs fabulous and no error codes. I guess my experience has been, the closer to stock the wiring is, the easier it's been for me to get answers when I 've run into electrical problems ( a few).

·
FFCobra Craftsman
732 Posts
In my Ford Fuel Injection book-"Vehicle Speed Sensor---- Many applications are equipped with a VSS. This sensor signals the ECA(computer) regarding the speed of the vehicle. Vehicle speed information is used to control the lockup function of the torque converter clutch on many automatic transmission applications. Some cars also use the signal as the speed reference for the cruise control and for controlling the two-speed electric radiator fan. Vehicles equipped with this fan operate it on the lower speed when at freeway speeds." Doesn't appear to be needed but I would keep it until I was sure that all was well. Good luck, Glen

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
Some aftermarket T5s (mine) only have the back-up light switch and the speed sensor. No neutral sense switch at the upper left forward corner.

·
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like I will keep the wires, until the car is running.
Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts