1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if I should rivet or screw? Thanks, Karl

·
4,342 Posts
I've tapped and screwed mine in. Used a thin rubber gasket to keep the moisture out.

·
6,332 Posts
Might as well use rivets. Screws were only useful in the pre-backbone days.
Frank

·
Registered
520 Posts
I made mine removable, figured should I ever need to get in there it would be allot easier.

Used angle Aluminum to hold down the edges. Tapped the 3/4" tubes. Works great.

Ivan

·
Runs with scissors!
562 Posts
I plan on making mine removable and covering it with leather or vinyl instead of carpet.

It may not be as easily removable as some because I want to hide the fasteners. I plan to put 3 or 4 round head machine screws on each side and put a nut with red locktight on the bottom of the plate to hold the bolt in place. Maybe grind the round head down a bit, then cover the whole thing in leather or vinyl with enough pad to mask the screw heads. Put corresponding holes in the frame rails with a nut/lockwasher on the bottom of the frame rail to snug it down. The holes in the top wall of the frame rails will need to bigger than the nuts so the whole thing will sit flush.

You'll have to get under the car to remove it so it's a bit of a compromise, but I think it'll turn out nice.

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
I made mine removable as well.
Instead of using the tunnel aluminum cover that came with the kit I used a piece of .100 thick 6061 and cut it to the shape of the tunnel top.
I then JB welded 10-32"T" nuts on the bottom of the 3/4 tubes this way way I could run the 10-32 countersunk bolts and really be able to snug it up good.
For a good seal I bought some roll cork 1 inch wide and used an office paper puncher for the holes.
The top is rock solid and I can mount grab handles directly to the top plate if I want.
Don't know if I ever need to get to the tranny in the future but if I have to it's just a matter of removing about 14 little bolts.
Paul M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts