Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size open trailer works best for a Cobra replica. I found a good deal on a 16' flat trailer. They guy also hase 18' dove tails, but they are almost twice the rice of the 16'. Can I get by with the 16' flat?

Also, I will be hauling with my Dodge Durango. Should I opt for the electric brakes? If so, on one axle or both?

BTW, a trailer is still a little premature, but I am thinking that by the time I drop $75 each way to the painter, plus other trips, I could be investing the money into the trailer. And I am going to need one for Spring Fling anyways (if I finish the car).

Thanks,
Tom

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
A 16' open trailer is plenty for your cobra. 18' is WAY overkill. Yes, get the electric brakes for sure. If you're only hauling your cobra, the single axle brakes will probably be ok, but if you ever want to haul a heavier car, you might think about getting brakes on both axles from the start.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,261 Posts
If you don't get a dove tail, check the ramp angle. Cobra's low clearance areas (pipes) will drag. I bought a 16' tilt trailer w/4 wheel brakes. Works great.

·
Registered
918 Posts
When looking at trailers keep in mind re sale value. a 18 ft trailer is going to have a better resale value then a 16ft. Most of the older cars are using 18 or 20 ft trailers. We sell enclosed trailers and the difference in price for a 16 or 18 is only about 300. But on a used one it is 400 or 500.
The other thing about the extra couple of ft is it is easier to tie the car down when you don't have the ratchet end under the car.
Just some info from a dealers prospective. ;)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I have a 16ft dove tail. The length is perfect, but I still have to jack up the front of the trailer to get the pipes to clear the deck when loading. FWIW, I have no brakes on the trailer and tow with a F150 Supercab with the towing paqckage. I have had zero problems with panic stops.

·
Charter Member
153 Posts
With a open trailer everyone will see you pride & joy (honk's & thumb's up.), with a enclosed trailer your car will be out of the weather while in transit. I have a 24' enclosed I love all the extra room. just my 2 cents worth.

FFR 2637

·
Senior Charter Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eventually, I will want to move up to an enclosed. I screwed up and did not get the larger engine when I bought the Durango, so an enclosed is probably not an option right now. Truth of the matter is, I was really considering the larger engine, but considering that is the vehicle that gets all of the mileage, I was concerned about the extra gas cost as was my wife, and while we were stretching the budget a little for the car, I did not want to through in the fact that I wanted to drop a couple thousand on an enclosed trailer down the road.

Ozona, maybe you should get a LONG enclosed trailer and some of the WCCC folks could trailer along with you to events like Spring Fling ;)

Tom

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Beautiful car, no roof, enclosed.
Beautiful car, with roof, either.

Trailers are like property, get as much as you can possibly afford. Trailers do not depreciate like cars do. After 5 years of ownership, it's not uncommon to still get 75% of your original purchase price for it.

I've got a 22' open trailer, could possibly tow 2 cobras if in a pinch. My wife likes the idea of a rental golf cart for events though, makes sense for both of us.

The weight of the enclosed and amount of air turbulance also precludes some smaller tow vehicles. My friend tows 5k#s with his 5.9 Durango all the time without complaint.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,808 Posts
Recommend what ever length you get make sure it is "dove tail" trailer. Regarding brakes, I pull a 4500lb boat behind my Ford explorer. It has 2 axle "surge" brakes that work great. If you have the option, make sure you get disc brakes on the trailer.

San Rafael Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.