Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ignition miss was fixed, the new tires were on, chassis adjustments made, day off from work, beautifull sunny day. Of to the track to do some "testing" (AKA: Goofing Off).

I needed get the engine tune a lot better than it has been. New cam this year. I also needed some time with the new tires to figure out temps, pressures, cambers, etc.

The Good: The car ran great. I was gradually sneaking up on the proper tune, and it just kept getting better. Without pushing it too hard, I was running 1:45-1:50. Faster and faster until......

The Bad: #4 exhaust lifter gave up the ghost. That sounded terrible. Oh well. Another call to Summit. Last time I used the expensive COmp Cams parts. This time I'll use Ford Racing at half the cost. I should have it back together NLT Sunday evening. In theory. Sounds good on paper, doesn't it?

The Ugly. The catch can for my crank case vacuum pump is spooging oil out the top. Hmmm. Not sure what to do about that yet. I think I'll try extending the neck a few inches.

All in all, it was great fun.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have used 710's on my SCCA 944 - also used Hoosiers. Racing at Daytona International and Sebring, I have found that the 710's do not change with temperature during a run like the Hoosiers do. They stay really consistent, regardless of what you do to them...can't say the same for the Hoosiers. The 710's are less expensive, and I love 'em...

krd

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I liked 'em. Vast improvement over the street tires. Easy to drive. Since I'm pretty much a novice, and have never used any other track tire, it's hard for me to make a true comparison. But they sure did build a lot of confidence.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,426 Posts
What size 710's?

I am about to buy, and have rims that will work with the 245's, or can upgrade to the 275's if I get wider rims. My thinking is to stay with the 245's, as I am not overpowered, and our cars are lighter than the Mustangs.

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
295/40 on a 10.5" rim on the back. Almost a perfect fit. I needed to re-route the E brake cables to clear the rim, but there's no rubbing anywhere.

245/45 on a 9" rim in the front. They rub the splash panel on a full turn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.