Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to add a CobraEarl touring trunk kit for additional space. I understand that this requires the 3/4" tubes above the gas tank be cut away. These tubes seem to just be trunk floor supports so my guess is that they don't do too much for the frame. But, I'd like your opinions before I order the kit and warm up the Sawzall.

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
DMW, put in a sharp blade and hit the switch. While I build my own dropped box, Earl puts out a great product. Definitely adds a lot of additonal space for a reasonable cooler or small suite case. I'm very glad I took the time to make the mod.
Bob Mac
FFR3981

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,739 Posts
I made a trunk mod.

In the FAQ there is a pretty good article on the subject with pictures.

The trunk mod does add a lot more useable space, that is probably necessary.

Rick

·
Senior Charter Member
3,613 Posts
DMW, I too have Cobra Earl's Touring Trunk, wondered also about the safety of removing steel and in the end did the mod because Earl's design makes a VERY good heavy gauge aluminum structure that returns quite a bit of protection.

We've been well pleased with the product, the convenience and are not at all bothered by changing the FFR design.

I'll be loading her up tomorrow morning for a trip to a local Cruise-In.

There was a recent question about access for gas tank connections. Before installing the final floor piece, I cut a hole and made a removeable plate for the tank float. Just something to think about as you move along.

Yell if you have questions.

·
Charter Member
625 Posts
While I don't have Earl's trunk modification I have modified mine similarly but more dramatically by also creating a flat floor.

In sort of interpretting your question with regard to the purpose of the tubing, they are intended to be part of FFR's designed-in crumple zone/energy aborption area in the event of a rear end occurance.

Like any change made to FFR's design, you have to evaluate whether its worth it to you. Does it reduce strength? Logically yes. Is it a reasonable trade-off. To the number of us that have opted for the change, at least for me, yes.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I wanted the extra room and I wanted to keep the frame crush zone so I made a box and fitted it from underneath. Adds room for small items but it is more work to fit around the frame.

David W

·
1,123 Posts
I have recently completed CobraEarl's kit and it is very nice. He NOW has a front to rear brace that is included with the kit that gives extra floor support and strength. It welds or bolt to the drivers side ftont & rear fuel tank mounts. Great idea!!!!

·
Senior Charter Member
629 Posts
I cut mine out, rewelded in some calculated triangulation and gave me enough room to carry my nail bags, sawzall, skilsaw, 2' level, folding saw horses, nail gun and 100' cord and 50' of air hose. (no room for the compresser). No regrets

jack stand

·
Registered
366 Posts
Another option that I have decided to do is to simply make cutouts between the braces and have several small spaces below (fabricate triangular shaped boxes to drop in and rivit in place). I can use small backpacking bags for gear instead of a suitcase and don't have to modify the frame at all. I am going to put back a couple of pieces of 1/8" ply with carpet glued on them and velcro it in place. The trunk will look like a stock one but if I have extra gear, I will remove the panels and fill the triangular shaped holes with gear in small bags.

·
12,669 Posts
Originally posted by the Last Mark II:
I have recently completed CobraEarl's kit and it is very nice. He NOW has a front to rear brace that is included with the kit that gives extra floor support and strength. It welds or bolt to the drivers side ftont & rear fuel tank mounts. Great idea!!!!
Thanks for all the kind words..

earl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts