Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Charter Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a question about touch up/spot repairs to a paint job I recently completed. I used a Dupont single stage Jaguar color from the 60's. Top quality paint and I got a great finish even in my garage booth setup. After cutting and buffing the job ,however,I discovered a few very small spots ( one is even just three pin hole spots that I suspect are solvent pop) that I would like to touch up.
My problem and the question- I have learned the hard way that I am very sensitive to the hardener's isocynates ingredients. Do you think I could eliminate the hardener and just fill these spots with color. I have a small amount left over? They are very small blemishes but bother me. I have equipment to isolate myself from the vapors but it is cumbersome and I was hoping to just not get any chance of exposure again. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks, Jon

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The paint will eventually dry but it could take as long as a year or not at all depending on the paint brand. Endura being one of them that needs hardener to fully cure. Dupont, BASF and PPG do harden without eventually but NEVER spray without the hardener
If the areas are very small just dabbing paint into the pin hole or nick with successive coats till there is enough to fill the area to slightly over flowing. I use a match from the old style book matches, I cut a 45 degree angle on the end to dab up the paint and it flows well into the damaged area. If you plan to sand and polish the repair out then wait till it is fully cured and hard. Test with your finger nail and if you can press an indentation into it then it is still too soft to blend in. Take your time.
Mix up a tiny amount of paint with the isocynate hardener with proper ventilation, do the job and leave the area immediately afterward to keep the exposure to a minimum.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.