Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Thinking of purchase
416 Posts
After getting the lines installed on the rear IRS, make sure you don't run the line anywhere it can be pinched! Also disconnect the rear shocks and run the suspension through its full range of travel including bottoming out! That will be a start in this not happening again, the brake experts will chime in on that issue!

·
Premium Member
17,889 Posts
The jeep (and all modern) MC's have two chambers for a reason. You should have two completely separate hydraulic systems, that don't intersect anywhere.

If you lost all 4 brakes, they are either joined together somewhere, or the fronts one's were not working to begin with.

·
15,282 Posts
If you lost all 4 brakes, they are either joined together somewhere, or the fronts one's were not working to begin with.
That's one way to get enough rear braking in these cars!!

Cheers, John

·
Premium Member
5,805 Posts
Edit.

Sorry, it's late. I misread your post. Thought it was a FRONT line failure. Editing my comments.

Sean

·
Junior Charter Member
203 Posts
Brake failure

Troy
I had the same thing happen to me last year. Rear PS. I made a hard rubber bump stop and attached it to the bottom of the frame making sure the brake line cleared the pad on full compression. The pad is just a little thicker than the brake line. I also sent the rear Bilstein shocks to their repair facility for the upgrade ( I had the fronts done in '09 ). 600lb springs were also installed in the rear. Stock 450lb were retained in front. Handling is greatly improved and no brake worries.
Problem solved, problem staying solved.

Good luck: Krusty

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts
The jeep (and all modern) MC's have two chambers for a reason. You should have two completely separate hydraulic systems, that don't intersect anywhere.

Bingo.

·
Snake Farmer
10,315 Posts
But if you think about when you are bleeding your brakes, the pedal still hits the floor whenever a bleed screw is cracked open, either at the front of rear..? So how does the pressure build up enough, to actually activate the brake system that is still intact?
Interesting read..
Master Cylinder – Auto Repair Help

·
Registered
7,573 Posts
Unless you rapidly pump the brakes, the pedal is going to stay on the floor and you're not going to have any brakes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts