Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on getting all the tools recommended in the assembly manual. Anybody got a recommendation regarding a 3/8" drive torque wrench that meets the torque specs?

Pete Leibundguth

·
Charter Member
64 Posts
I bought a 3/8" click type torque wrench from Lowes and its served me well so far. The plastic on the handle did crack a litlle but overall it's been fine. (I paid $89.00 for it, I think)
Also got one of those simple pointer ones too because I needed it for torquing down some higher torqued bolts.

I feel better using the click type because I can set the exact torque setting I want without exceeding it.

Regards,

Kevin

·
Senior Charter Member
564 Posts
I think that you should also invest in a 1/2" torque wrench. You have some bolts needing >70 ft-lbs and some needing <70 in-lbs. Trying to do these with one wrench [let alone a 3/8" drive] will be difficult.

So two medium priced wrenches will be better than one higher priced, does it all wrench.

·
Junior Charter Member
49 Posts
I've been pretty happy with my Sears Craftsman Torque Wrenches. If you are a member of their "Craftsman Club" you get 10% off during a selected week every month or so, even if they go on sale. Best thing is with the "Life Time Warranty" if it does brake; you just have to take it back to your local store to get a replacement.
I also suggest getting a ½" drive wrench as well. There will be times you need something bigger and/or you will have to use a ½" drive socket.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,920 Posts
I've got the Craftsman 1/2" 20-150 ft-lb one for $89 and it's nice. I also bought the $9 copy from Harbor Freight to keep in the trunk for lug nuts. It has a rougher finish, but is within 2 pounds of the Craftsman!

·
5,210 Posts
I've got craftsman 1/2 and 3/8 drive torque wrenches. Both are over 15 years old. Had the re-calibrated before my build and they were still on.

Mike

[ September 16, 2002, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: mikiec ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.