Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the threads on torque specifications and listed concerns about craftsman click style torque wrenches.

“What’s the best torque wrench on the market that an average guy can afford.?”

5N4K3

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
What's wrong with a Craftsman TW? As with all, you need to turn the adjuster back to zero after each use. I've had mine for 12 years with no problems. Had it recalibrated a couple years ago and it was still dead on.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mark;

You just taught me two important things. One...put the Craftsman TW back to zero. I have had it for 32 years and while I have always put it down in the 15 to 30 ft lbs range going to zero never accurred to me.

Secondly, that it can be checked and recalibrated.

Where can I get mine recalibrated!!!

·
3,760 Posts
Beam type is fine IMHO for hobbyists like me. I treat it very gently, and store it in its original box to keep it from getting whacked with anything else in the toolbox. Bought a Craftsman, the beam-style was WAY cheaper than a click-style. And no calibration issues except for my eyeballs, which have needed recalibration for a good long while now. :rolleyes:

AJ

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So where do I get my craftsmans click type recalibrated??

·
Charter Member
190 Posts
Sears will recalibrate your wrench at a local service center. The kicker I found here in Denver is the cost of recalibration was almost exactly the cost of a new wrench. They got you one way or the other. I just bought a new Craftsman TW BTW.
Ken

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
5N4K4,
I used to live in Philly (Montgomeryville) and I got the NAPA store in Lansdale to do it for me. I think they charged me $40, but since it was fine, I have never taken it back. BTW, John is right, take it to the lowest setting.

·
Slacker Extraordinaire
2,811 Posts
well, I have a $20 harbor freight torque wrench I use as a beater. I occasionally check it against my brothers $500 snap-on. It's always been within 1-2 ft/lbs. Good enough for what I do.

Andy

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
FWIW, I got a flyer in the mail from Sears yesterday, click-set torque wrenches on sale, 3 sizes, plus Craftsman Club discount. Home Depot sells similar TW's, same manufacturer as Sears, don't know about prices though. HTH

1 - 11 of 11 Posts