Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a used Challenge car that has been raced for a few years. Everything looks great. So took it to a track time event at PBIR and it seems like there is something going on with the rear end. When you do a normal fast shift up, the rear end takes a quick kick to the right making the car take a quick jerk to the left. If you do a slow, grand ma easy soft off throttle shift almost no kick. A hard accelerate on the shift the rear end takes a quick kick to the left, making the car take a kick to the right. It is acting like worn out bushings in the rear 3 link drag bars letting the rear end torque steer the car. I checked the rear end as well as I could at the track, but what little I could see the bushings looked fine. Any thoughts before I start tearing the 3 link apart?

·
Snake Farmer
10,321 Posts
I could envision worn out bushings causing that. Are they standard rubber ones or poly?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've been there...look for cracks in the FF pieces that bolt to the rear end and connecting members (they can be hard to find).

Mine had broke right through...if I can find the pics I'll send.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,607 Posts
Also look at the adapter brackets that the rear of the lower links bolt to. Look where they bolt to the axle. I finally ended up welding mine cause they worked loose twice per autocross season. It only takes a very small movement at the bolts to end up w/ the axle doing exactly what yours is doing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Found them.

Check the bolts down there as well, I've had them come loose. I'm not sure how long it took for this to happen (the car was feeling the same for many track days/races), but believe me I knew something was wrong when it did happen...turn 10 at T-hill, the car did not feel at all right, and came right in. I didn't go back out...I knew something was not correct.

It took me a good 30 minutes to find it, and yes I looked right at it several times, until I looked yet again and then saw it.

Easy fix for the welder, less than an hour, and yes he went ahead and hit all the intersecting pieces on both sides since he was there and everything was easily accessed.

I do remember Rick Anderson had a similar situation...he welded it up between races...I don't think it was his first time.

Hope these help.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts