Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just about ready to start painting my frame. I have the gloss black POR15. I hope it's as good as everyone says.
I wanted to paint my frame the same color as my car so my thought was to put two coats of POR and then get some duplicolor to match my paint and spray that on after about 3 or 4 hours of drying time. The people at the POR store said as long as I sprayed it before it cured it would adhere just fine.
Has anyone out there done this and how did it turn out? Good, bad or just ugly?

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
I used the gray POR15, let it sit for a weekend or two, and then I sprayed it with Rustoleum Hammer finish dark grey. It came out great, and as it gets scratched-up when fitting the aluminum, and it does, I just hit it with the spray paint and it is as good as new.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,526 Posts
I just painted my frame silver this weekend over POR15. My POR15 was fully cured, so I used the POR-15 Tiecoat primer first. It came out very nice. I also painted the aluminum charcoal (body will be charcoal with silver stripes).

·
Junior Charter Member
126 Posts
I called the company before I painted my frame with POR15, and they told me to wait about 3 hrs after the last coat of POR-15, and then give the frame a very light dusting of whatever type of topcoat paint I wanted to use. Then let it dry/cure fully. After that I could go back and paint it with the topcoat - no additional sanding needed. I did that, topcoating with Rustoleum hammered grey, and it worked just fine. It is also very easy to touch up where I scratch it as I work on the car, etc. Just be sure to give the "dust coat" before the POR-15 is fully dry/hard.
John.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts