Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make a Bimini top for the roadster? Not a full top just a small top to shade in the heat of summer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not to hijack your thread but i was wondering the same thing. I was thinking of contacting a boat canvas company and having them make one that will attach to the winshield top and my full width roll bar.
But id like to see if any venders make anything.
Chris

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
13,787 Posts
Do a search on "bimini" there are several out there. I'm thinking from a rain standpoint they would also help a little. At least you wouldn't get quite as drenched at a stoplight :eek:

·
2,990 Posts
I built my own but this was the third version. I tried a version with no bows between the windshield and the roll bars but it was way too much pressure on the windshield. Above 45 MPH the top starts to flap violently. I tried it with 1/4 inch fiberglass rods between the windshield and roll bars but it was not enough. The version you see in the picture has a steel frame that actually supports the windshield. Sorry I don't know anyone who makes them. There was another owner on the form who talked about making some to sell but I haven't heard from him yet. Below is a link with more pictures and description towards the bottom of the topic.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229949&highlight=top

·
Registered
428 Posts
I hope you dont have young kids....my boys would have stuffed that tennis ball in the side pipe in a NY minute just to see how far it would go when I fired up the car.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
This clearly will work best with cars having either double rollbars (like the one pictured), or with a Spec Racer full rollbar. Those of us like myself with a single rollbar don't have much of a chance of getting anything like that to work very well. On a few occasions I have given some thought to such a Bimini-type roof, but I concluded it could only work along with a vertical rigid frame in place behind the seats. I haven't seen that available from any of our vendors, and I don't want anything like that enough to try to fashion something like that myself.

·
2,990 Posts
Jeff: You are correct I no longer have young kids but I wouldn't put it past my dog that is less then a year old. One wrong bounce and swoosh up the tail pipe. Luckily I have built inserts for the side pipes which you can't see in this picture but make it impossible to fit a tennis ball in there.

Cwhoofgator, Pierre B: I talked with a guy at the Pomona show that was interested in building these. He took a lot of pictures but I haven't heard from him lately. I would want to check with him before offering Whitby's my design since I gave him first dibs. If he isn't going to do it I would be happy to give who ever what ever they need to make these. I had lots of interest at the Huntington Beach and Pomona AHA shows. Probably 25 to 30 car owners asking where I got it and could I make one for them. By the way I do have a design for those who only have one roll bar.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,021 Posts
A forum member a while back, johnpastuszko, was making them. He had a website: cobratown.com. But, it looks like it is gone now. Here is the link to the forum thread:

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152741

I just shot him a PM to see if he's still around or not... it looks like his last activity was Feb of this year.

I was very interested in them, but no where near needing it yet...

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now that's what I am talking about. I would be interested in one Jeff, I have 2 roll bars and just want it for around town driving say 75mph max...

·
4,318 Posts
Something like this?

PM me for details

·
Registered
29 Posts
Perl-so, could you tell us something about the single roll bar idea? Maybe a drawing if you haven't actually built one yet??

·
Junior Charter Member
465 Posts
It will be a while, but I would be interested also in a setup for a single roll bar also.

Kurt

·
Registered
394 Posts
I built one like Perl with a full width roll bar and agree you need structure between the windshield and rollbar or the wind will flap it something fierce. I put angle sections on the outside and a bowed truss in the center, and only then did it become driveable. Single hoops would be tough - you'd need a real stable cantilever for support

·
2,990 Posts
This is my idea for the top attached to a single roll bar. I haven't completely thought it thru but below is a rough sctetch. This would only work with a full frame design like mine. It involves a support bar that is clamped to the bottom of the roll bar and attaches to the frame of the top on the passenger side. In the picture I have the tie down strap on the passenger side attached to the support bar but I think I would bring it all the way across and attach it to where the other tie down strap is attached to the roll bar.

·
Snake Farmer
10,319 Posts
Here is what we did on a challenge car, it should be pretty easy to adapt to street car if there is interest.
Jeff, I like that!
Is additional windshield support required with that set up? Looks like a simple adapation for those with two roll bars.

Approximate cost?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts