Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What sort of tool are you supposed to use to tighten the double-slotted bezels on Lucas-style toggle switches? I can see really buggering them up with needle-nosed plyers or screwdrivers, etc...

Sherrell

·
2,746 Posts
There probably is a special tool, but I confess I've sure never seen one. Small screwdriver and much care are how I always do it.

Chris.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Here is a pic of the tool that my son and I made when we were doing another project. I forgot we had this until I read this post. I just tried it on my switches and it works great!

Piece of pipe and we cut slots in the end with a cut-off wheel. Then we welded in a couple of tabs that had pointed ends, threw a little tape around the handle end and instant $52 tool for .13 worth of scrap.

Mike M.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,270 Posts
Lucas does indeed make a special tool for installing the bezels. You might try http://www.europaspares.com for one.

I've had success using a small pair of spring-loaded, bent-nose, needle nose pliers that I filed the tips on to fit the slots. About $10 (or less) at any decent hardware store. As many times as I've had my dash apart, I should have just Velcroed the switches in, but the modified pliers are still working fine (after 3+ years).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts