Here is a pic of the tool that my son and I made when we were doing another project. I forgot we had this until I read this post. I just tried it on my switches and it works great!
Piece of pipe and we cut slots in the end with a cut-off wheel. Then we welded in a couple of tabs that had pointed ends, threw a little tape around the handle end and instant $52 tool for .13 worth of scrap.
I've had success using a small pair of spring-loaded, bent-nose, needle nose pliers that I filed the tips on to fit the slots. About $10 (or less) at any decent hardware store. As many times as I've had my dash apart, I should have just Velcroed the switches in, but the modified pliers are still working fine (after 3+ years).
A forum community dedicated to Factory Five owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, racing, conversions, modifications, troubleshooting and drivetrain. We discuss MK4, GTM, 818, Type 65 coupe, roadsters, and more!