Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats type of diagnostic tool do I need to pull the codes on EEC IV 89-93 mustang? I'd like to be able to do this on both my '89 donor FFR and my sons '90 GT. I know there is a way to do it with an analog voltmeter by counting the sweeps on the meter but it would be nice, if not faster, to have the proper tool. I want something inexpensive and might even go used. What specs do I need to look for to ensure whatever diagnostic tool I buy can read the codes on these cars?

Thanks!
-Matt

·
4,494 Posts
Napa or Autozone or most other parts stores have a reader for these, cost about $40, plugs into the existing wiring harness and will give you blinking light to count the codes in the memory.

Be sure you don't buy the one for the modern cars, I think that is an OBDE II. It will tell you on the package which cars and years it covers.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,784 Posts
Matt,
Your "check engine light" will blink out the codes when you jumper the diagnostic connector as shown in the Chilton manual. I have diagnosed and repaired both my Mustang 5.0Ls using this method.
Best regards,
Chuck

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill, jterp, what exactly do I look for in terms of specs "on the box" when buying it to know it is the correct tool?

Mustang Medic, thanks that would work for my sons Mustang but I don't have the check engine light wired in on the Cobra so the tool would prove handy.

·
8,153 Posts
Matt

I e-mailed you instructions on how to pull the codes. You only need a piece of wire about 6" long and two spade terminals. Save your money for something cool for the Cobra. :D

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Matt,
I bought one from my neighborhood auto parts store. It is manufactured by INOVA and is called a FORD CODE READER. It was about $35 and is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Easy to use too.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Paper clip.....................

·
Registered
773 Posts
Matt, buy the FORD CODE READER as DMW suggests. Really inexpensive and easy to use. It also does several other things besides just reading out the codes. eg. cylinder balance test, timing advance test. A great tool for EFI.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Originally posted by Matt Kennedy:
Bill, jterp, what exactly do I look for in terms of specs "on the box" when buying it to know it is the correct tool?

Mustang Medic, thanks that would work for my sons Mustang but I don't have the check engine light wired in on the Cobra so the tool would prove handy.
Matt -- On the box it says 'FORD OBD I CODE READER'
I don't remember who makes it, but i can check when I get home. At the auto parts store there was a display of all the fancy new code readers (in a locked case). Below it on a shelf was all the "old" OBD I readers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts