Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Charter Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4107 seems to be really loud, and I'm toying with the idea of trying to make it a little quieter, and more driveable. Has anyone ever done this? How much power will I have to give up? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Snakeman
FFR 4107
5.0, F303 cam, edelbrock performer heads, roller rockers, larger fuel pump and injectors, 70 mm TB, hooker headers with ceramic-coated side pipes, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Also search for Tristates pipes, a little more mellow and better sound, and you can just weld the spiral-core mufflers into your sidepipes.
If you think your car is loud now, wait until the fiberglass blows out of those glasspacks!

·
Registered
810 Posts
I know what you're talking about. Took 3776 out today for the first time in go kart stage and the 4 into 4 pipes are ear splitting when I really get on it. I've bought some auger style inserts from Speedway motors to add if I needed them, and it looks like I do. The side pipes are already ceramic coated so I guess I'll have to have them done again. If you're interested in the inserts or the Lobak mufflers, you can find them at:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/prod_list_display.ASP?wc=true&dept_id=L2~50&dept_name_p=Race+Products&deptSearch_id=2

·
15,282 Posts
Also try searching on "Lobak." A lot of folks here are using them. I don't know what I'll do yet, as I'm worried about disturbing the neighbors more than I'm worried about the noise for myself.

Cheers, John

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
After a few months you'll get use to it. It won't seem so loud around 2K rpm when cruzing the open road.

·
Registered
796 Posts
What? I'm certainly used to the noise now. Maybe that's why I have two hearing aids (really) or maybe that was a career of jet noise or lots of shooting as a kid with no hearing protection - or all of the above.... Please protect your hearing. Don't take it for granted. If you ever have ringing in your ears from loud noises, you are damaging your hearing. And its cumulative. And it doesn't repair itself. I'll get down off my soapbox now.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,066 Posts
Don't expect a huge noise reduction with the lobak conversion. It's a little quieter than the FFR pipes. The biggest advantage is they don't get louder with age. Rip is right - you get use to the noise. The problem is your neighbors never do.

·
15,282 Posts
AirForceOne is right about hearing. I'm young (28), but I cringe when I see these teenagers with their "boom trucks" cruising around shaking cars from a block away. They'll be deaf as stones by the time they have children.

I'll be earplugging it when I drive the FFR. What I meant in my earlier post is that I am entitled to disturb myself, but disturbing my neighbors will be a touchy issue in a dense neighborhood in Houston. I'll just get friendly with everyone and try not to rev up at late hours.

Cheers, John

·
Registered
449 Posts
My wife makes subtle complaints about the noise level, so I am considering replacing the glass packs over the winter. Which seem to be quieter, Lobaks or Auger Inserts?

Tanner

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
Put a cat in each sidepipe and if that doesn't work use catalytic converters
Seriously though, I needed to add cats to pass CA smog back in Jan 2000. I haven't taken them off since due to their ability to clip the raspy sound off the pitch of the exhaust. It does make the beast a wee bit more civil but still no problem setting off car alarms.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
Ken hit it on the head. I do remember Mark Smith saying that you only loose something like 1hp with the cats. I have them on my car and they really cut down the bark of the exhaust. There have been a LOT of solutions thrown around here over the years, but except for the FFR cats, I've never heard of one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg or/and end up not working well.

There's always undercar exhaust :D

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
I have adopted a $.98 solution to my cars volume issue that reduces Db's by 26 without reducing HP. I just bought a set of foam earplugs. I really like the sound of the car with the plugs in and it also saves your hearing over muffler options as the air buffeting will do more damage to your hearing than the pipe noise.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Has anyone thought of replacing the J-Pipe with a resonator or small muffler to reduce sound? I know many of you are using 4 into 4s. Flowmaster sells a resonator that is 4" x 8" x 12" with a 3" inlet/outlet diameter. Seems like it would do a better job reducing sound and not require modifying the sidepipes. Assuming it would fit.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/cgi-bin/flowmaster/15110.html

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
while I have worn earplugs on long trips, it is not legal to do so in CA:

27400. No person operating any motor vehicle or bicycle shall wear any headset covering, or any earplugs in, both ears.

Earplugs also do not solve the problem of being a respectful residential neighbor when coming / going at early/late hours.

·
Senior Charter Member
4,275 Posts
Now granted, I listened to alot of loud "metal" in the 80's and I am only running a 302, but after reading these "my pipes are too loud" topics for the last couple of years, I was really concerned about driving this thing.....well I started up 5155 for the first time last weekend and I was pleasantly suprised with the sound. In my opinion it sounded just like it should, definately tolerable at idle up to 3000 (normal driving), and then started to sound like it meant bidness above that....?

[ June 16, 2004, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: Rickster ]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts