Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
MK3#4671
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I have no one to blame but myself for driving like a total idiot!!! I drove the Cobra to my bank this morning and I wrecked it while driving like a complete fool on my way back home. There's some newly paves streets near my house that run through an industrial area in my city where there's few cars during the day. I like using them because there's a few fun turns for about 2 miles driving back. Anyways, I came in too hot on one of them and my brakes locked up as I tried to slow down before an interection but I couldn't stop the car and I plowed into the curb and hit a fire hidren. I ended up in the middle of the intersection barely avoiding uncoming traffic.

I just got back from dropping it off at the body shop that did the paint because I didn't want my family to see it like this parked in the driveway. I broke the passenger side lower control arm, shock, bent my J pipe, bent the side exhaust, broke the MAF sensor, bent both pass side wheels, dented Brian's new Spat, bent the pass side outer tie rod, and the obvious body damage. I know what you guys are thinking, "that's what happens when you give a 23 year old a car like that" and you're absolutly right :( I'm sooo bummed out right now I can't even imagine what it's gonna cost to fix it since I don't want to involve my insurance company. Oh well, it could have been way worse and I'm just glad I didn't get hurt or much worse someone else....... If you guys have any of the spare parts I mention ubove please PM me and I'll buy them from you. Please go easy on me, I already got chewed out by a few people for this.

-dave

[ October 20, 2007, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: dave65cobra ]

·
Charter Member
707 Posts
23 or 50, we all do stupid stuff. Just glad no one was hurt. This just allows you to do some work on your baby, any mods you been thinking about you can do now..

·
Junior Charter Member
3,886 Posts
OUCH, glad to hear you're OK, and that no others were involved. Pictures say it all, just be sure to remember the feeling you had just before impact!

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Wow, bummer. Glad to hear that you're OK but looks like some major damage to the snake. Oh well, live and learn. Tackle the repairs yourself and you're only really in it for body and paint. Shouldn't be too bad.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sorry. I hate to tell you but sometimes 56 year-old kids drive like that too. Those "unpopulated" areas are sooooo tempting.

·
3,875 Posts
From my own personal experience I have found that the best learned lessons are the ones you learn the hard way. Glad to see it wasn't alot worse and that your ok.
Don

·
Junior Charter Member
265 Posts
Ouch! Could be worse, car can be fixed, you walked away.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
What's the point in having insurance if you're not gonna use it?
A good driving school would probably be a smart idea.
Good luck.

RR

·
Administrator
7,017 Posts
A life lesson learned the hard way.

Glad you're OK! That's the important thing. Thanks for sharing, and for the reminder that Cobras can bite without warning.

·
Super Moderator
29,537 Posts
Man, what a major bummer!! I feel your pain as I did something similar with my Roadster. Luckily, no body damage, only two bent rims and a bent axle.

Hope you can get your car back together like new.

Bill

·
BLUBLUR
990 Posts
so sorry to hear about this Dave. I am glad no one got hurt. So easy to lock up the brakes on these light cars and before you know it, control is gone and it takes lots of practice to learn how to recover. Friends acccuse me of not driving my Cobra like it oughtta be driven and I tell them it costs too much $$ to screw up from hotdoggin a car like this just one time.
I hope to see it back together soon. Good luck.

·
MK3#4671
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by RacingRob:
What's the point in having insurance if you're not gonna use it?
A good driving school would probably be a smart idea.
Good luck.

RR
Another stupid mistake on my part, the car wasn't even fully insured! I only had liability on it since it was bouncing around from shop to my house the past few months during the build and wasn't being driven much. Irronically now that it was 90% done I had an appointment with the insurance appraisal guy next Wednesday to have it fully covered. You live and you learn :(

-dave

·
Master Air Guitarist...
154 Posts
Great reminder for everyone to respect these things. I'm glad you are ok and that nobody else was hurt.

Peace.

·
6,332 Posts
The tree of knowledge is watered by the tears of bitter experience.
Frank

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
You're not injured, nobody else was injured and you realize that you are to blame. A costly lesson, but it could have been worse.

Good luck on the fix and see you back on the road soon!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Y'all need to stop this. It seems that for the last few weeks there are as many crashes as graduations! My wife is never going to let me build one if this keeps up;)

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Dave,

I went over a side curb too and broke some of the stuff you damaged too. No worries, hold up you chin and add this to your life experience.

Everyone has done it but some never admit it, and thanks for sharing.

I may have many of the parts you need. I had the same kind of accident (going over the curb at work while recording audio from the exhaust). The company paid for everything so I had them to change everything and expenssed it.

I have shocks, LCAs, UCAs,tires (same as yours) AND I know where to get those rims fixed locally, quick and cheap (you'd never know it).

PM sent.

Glad you're okay.

Cheers,

-Kouros

[ October 19, 2007, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Kouros ]

·
10,171 Posts
Well, I've got to say, for 23 years old.. you seem mighty mature from your post.. But you could be full of manure:).... Hey buddy.. you are safe, and nobody else got hurt... Just store it in your memory bank and cash it in the next time your brain goes out of wack... Don't even ask me the crap I was doing when I was 23.
I had an old long lost neighbor cross paths with me the other day and he said he was amazed I was still alive.. I'm now 53...
Now get on out there and fix that sucker up.

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,785 Posts
I'm glad you weren't hurt or hurt someone else. The car can be fixed.
One question, you have power brakes don't you?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts