Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to install a cover on my MKII this weekend that I bought from a forum member. I dont have instructions, so I'm going to "wing it". Any helpful hints? Do the nipples get mounted to the door tops, or is there something else that should go there? I would think that laying your arms across them while driving would be uncofortable...

[ September 29, 2007, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: Rickster ]

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
I have one on each door, at the front of the door. The first one behind the door is just behind the door on the rear body work, with this setup there is no interference with my arm.

I had a problem with the lift a dot studs stripping out the base when I tightened them. I may have not drilled the holes big enough which caused that, not sure. But I did not want the holes to be too big and strip easily when pulling up on the tonneau.

I wound up buying the studs from finishline. They are a better quality than the ones that came with the FFR kit, and have a 10-32 stud mount. This is fine across the trunk or wherever you have access to install a nut on the back, but you will still have to use the threaded ones from the kit in a few places, and I doubt you will get by without stripping at least one of them.

Also note that the price for the finishline studs is for each one. The picture shows three or four, so I ordered accordingly and came up short. Had to order more, doubling my shipping cost.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Rickster, above advice all good. One more suggestion, I went to a fabric store and picked up a sheet of sticky back felt and cut patches to fit over the back of the female part of the fastners. The back side can mar the paint, they have all tose fold over retainers.

Ricks trick for the doors is the way to go, I learned of it from Roger Stine AFTER I'd installed mine :rolleyes:

·
1,743 Posts
Man! I know how you feel. I had my tonneau for 2 years before finally getting the nerve to put all those holes in a perfectly good body.
Put down a bunch of painter's tape, start in the middle of the rear and move up side to side. By the way... Be careful with those suckers. I snapped off the second AND third attempts and went into seclusion for two days before I'd go back into the garage. Somebody reminded me to give a "wiggle" on the drill before I pulled the bit back out and all went well for the rest.

This is a photo of the car I copied. It belongs to Roger Stine and shows the placement very clearly. The only studs on the door are at the very front. I used the supplied pieces and once I enlarged the holes with the "wiggle" never had a problem.

·
8,356 Posts
Go to Whitby's site and download the directions there; not sure if they have directions for tonneau, but follow the placement for the soft top and you'll be fine. I put my FFR soft top and tonneau on about 6 months ago using their directions...lots of pics and great directions. Go0d luck. I decond going with studs rather than the screwed connections, I broke a few off and they are a bear to get out.

·
Senior Charter Member
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All done...and heres the proof

I had to perform surgery to allow for the extra rollbar, and will finish it once
i can locate the piping and velcro. One pain was getting a drill under the windshield area. I ended up using my Dremel & flex shaft with a 1/8" bit. I didn't break off any studs, but I did have 2 of them decide to lose thier grip on the internal bolt head. They would just spin and not sink the screw any deeper. I had to use some vise grips to apply enough pressure to back it out.

[ September 29, 2007, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: Rickster ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts