Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sarcasm King
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, as I do some planning, on top of the planning that I planned, prior to planning this plan.... :D (I do alot of planning for my Cobra)...I am debating whether or not to use the hood hinge setup or not. I have read the posts and understand the modifications that may be necessary and that isn't a problem. The problem/concerns I have are:
1. Is the hood in the way any when doing engine work?
2. Must the hinge assembly be attached to the body? If so, how do you remove the body if needed after it is attached?
3. How secure is the hood attachement with or without the rivets coming thru the hood (I am not sure I like the idea of the rivets thru the hood). I am concerned that over time from opening and closing the hood that the rivets may loosen, and the hood may flex too spiderwebbing the paint job. I have seen webpages of guys bonding the hood and using bonded studs and such...but.....

How many out there don't use the hood hinge and just lift out the hood? I guess I am fishing for Pros and cons.

·
Senior Charter Member
380 Posts
I am using the Factory Five hood hinge and it works fine. It was a little bit of a pain to fit, but with a cutoff wheel and a welder the hood lines up nice.

There are people making hood hinges. I have no experience with them, but they are supposed to be alot nicer than the Factory Five hinge.

1. My hood is not in the way when I wrench on the engine.

2. The hinge is attached to the body with two screws, so if I need to remove the body, I just need to remove the two screws.

3. I did not use the rivets through the hood. I epoxied the hinge to the hood, then, glassed it in when the body work was being done. It is secure and I am not worried about it flying off anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I didn't go with a hood hinge during the build. I liked the look of the hood pins. However, it becomes a real pain when you want to show the engine at the gas station or car show. I recently bought a hood hinge setup from Online Cobra http://www.onlinecobra.com/
It looks great and I will be installing it soon.

·
Senior Charter Member
633 Posts
I used the Factory Five kit and was not thrilled with the quality but used it and installed it with care and attention to detail. Instead of rivets I used 3/16" stainless steel allen head round top screws with a small neoprene "o"ring under the head to provide a gasket and prevent paint chipping at the screw head. It worked fine and will be a lot easier to disassemble if needed in the future. I think the stainless screws look better than the rivets.

·
7,097 Posts
Does anyone know when FFR is going to debut their new hinge set up? I don't curretnly have a hinge and have been holding off to decide which way I am going to go.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,808 Posts
I ordered the FFR hood hinge but did not use it. I though it was too weak. Instead I had www.streetrodpainter.com fabricate his new hood hinge (without rivets)on the car. Very strong and very smooth to operate. I did use the struts from the FFR set up. Threw the rest away.

San Rafael Mike

·
Sarcasm King
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ttt

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,852 Posts
I'm going with SRP's hinge. I was impressed though when I visited the factory how easy it is to remove the hood when there is no hinge. Easily lifts off.
Many hinge set-ups have provisions to remove the hood for working in the engine compartment. Not really necessary unless you are doing something major like pulling the engine
TEC

·
Sarcasm King
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I couldn't find any info for the hood hinge that SRP offers on his site (maybe I missed it) how does it attach to hood/frame/and body?

The onlinecobra place says that you need to do some welding, I assume that means you weld the hinge to the frame? So, no body removal after this thing is in? because it says you bond it to the body too.
I want to be able to remove the body if (I hope not) it is necessary.
Thanks

·
FFCobra Craftsman
877 Posts
Cleveland,

Just want to clarify my hood hinge design for you (OnlineCobra.com). You bond what I call 'stud plates' to the body and hood. The brackets bolt to these stud plates. Thus it is very easy to remove the hood from the car, no permanency. In fact, all you need to do it unscrew two bolts on the body bracket and you can remove the hood. When you want to reinstall, simply screw the two bolts back on, and you're fully aligned, no re-adjustments required.

Here's where the welding is required.

The welding is done while the body is on the bodybuck, so accessibility is good. It takes less than 5 minutes to weld up. The reason for the weld is it allows you to align your hood very quickly and highly accurately (you first align the hood, then weld the hoops).

Regards,

·
Sarcasm King
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice Venomous! So your design doesn't attach to the frame like FF's hinge does?

Thanks!

·
Charter Member
146 Posts
I used the FFR hinge and by the time I'd purchased a second set of hinge arms and a new plate I decided to redesign it a little.

I set up 2 crossbars to mount the plate to. Now I can slide the hood front to back and adjust up and down when the whole thing is assembled.

I removed the attachment to the body. Everything is mounted to steel bars then to the frame.

The basic FFR hinge is a POS unless you do something to change the way it works.

PG
FFR2503

·
FFCobra Craftsman
877 Posts
Cleveland,

Thanks for taking the time to check out my design. Feedback like your initial interpretation helps me improve my website. I’ll be updating it to make things more clear.

Yah, I did some research and found no reason not to bond the hinge pieces. It is not difficult to make a very strong bond to fiberglass and I include detailed instructions that walk you through the procedure. To make it easier, I have started including (with my hinge kit) a ‘secret ingredient’ that is mixed in with the epoxy resin and results in a super strong bond. I had checked out a couple other kits and they attach their hinges to the body in a similar manner that I do. I just couldn’t come up with an easy way to 1) align the hood if the hinge was directly connected to the frame, and 2) maintain perfect alignment.

Even with the bonded design, I wanted to avoid any welding and could have, but the alignment became much more difficult. I decided that it was easier to have it welded where you get your bodywork done (or wherever), than spending countless hours trying to align it without the need to weld. It’s a trade off.

Regards,

·
Sarcasm King
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you Venomous. I am trying to figure out what route I am going to take, and I figured if I am gonna hinge, then I want it to mount to the body only, or the frame only (and of coarse the hood side too). I am setting up my Cobra considering the future. Mine is to be a daily driver just like my 71 Mustang has been since I was 15 years old (first car, bought it 12.5 years ago). With this, I am taking into account any possible repairs that may come my way and I have been setting up my car to accomodate any disassemblies and to prevent any unwanted damage to the finish. I KNOW I will have this car for awhile and I am sure in the future (hopefully far future) that the engine will need replacing/rebuilding and such. Thank you all for the responses. This forum has been invaluable to me!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts