Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having some issues with my TKO600 shifting into 3rd. Not the general shifter hitting into the gate, but I think either my shifter bushing are worn or the syncro is giving up on life. Odd thing is that the box goes into gear fine, but feels like it does not seat all the way and will want to pop out when the clutch is released. I have looked at clutch cable adjustment and rubber boot fitting and the like. So I am thinking its time for a rebuild. Anyone on hear tackle it themselves, is a manual available? I rebuilt 3 T5 transmissions before I finally committed to the TKO so familiar with pressing off the bearings and shimming the shafts, but have never opened a TKO before.
Alternatively any good rebuild shops in Southern California? I hate to spend hundreds of dollars just moving the box around.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,892 Posts
I did mine about a year ago. I actually enjoyed it. My transmission leaked from day one and then my 3rd gear synchro started to go. I had to shift slow into 3rd, which wasn't good on the track.

I did a Liberty's Gear upgrade that includes carbon fiber lined 2-3-4 synchros, double roll pins, a new shift rail (to help prevent a money shift) and upgraded shift springs, also bronze shift fork pads. The stock ones are plastic and I had one missing and another damaged. A new 3rd gear as the synchro teeth were damaged. I can now shift quickly.

Get Youtube certified here: This is a full teardown and reassembly.

He is doing a 3650, so there is one additional thing you need to know:

The only things I had to buy tools and supply-wise were.
Asemmbly goo - lube that is sticky enough to hole the needle bearings in place:

Flat nosed c-clip pliers: The clips are pretty heavy duty.

A tube of anaerobic sealer.

OK, I did buy an extra o-ring for the front bearing cap. Mine shaved the tiniest hair off, but I wasn't taking any chances. My local hydraulic shop had them.

Tremec has full exploded diagrams and parts lists that you can download.

You do not need a press or any special tools besides the one above, which isn't that special. Just keep everything in order including facing the right direction. Some pieces have a chamfer on one side only and have to face the right way, including the C-clips.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,892 Posts
Oh. Of course make sure it is not your shifter. Mine used to pop out of 4th when I let off the gas. I found a slightly softer boot, that looks the same, from a guy that does Sunbeam Tiger parts. It has never popped out since.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Avalanche325. That's exactly the response I need to feel more comfortable digging into mine. Did you just contact Liberty for the parts? I did not see the upgrade sold seperatly on their site, but have seen something similar on ebay. Also did you replace the bearings while you had it open? I don't really have any indications that mine are bad, but the T5 kits normally come with bearings along with the syncros and shift fork lugs.

Ive put around 7000 miles one the TKO but I bought it used from a mustang guy. No telling what abuse it saw before my abuse. The recent issue started at fontana. I would downshift from 4th preparing for turn 12. Under hard braking it was popping out of third and then I would grind a bit getting it back in. I did notice that notice that turn 9 was second gear and I was putting pressure on the shifter. Wondering if I damaged the shift fork by putting to much load on it.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,892 Posts
I contacted Liberty by phone. They will be happy to explain the upgrade kit. But you are probably best to open it up first and see what you need before you order parts to save on shipping.
I had about 20k miles on mine, so bearings and such were fine.
I replaced 3rd gear and the 3-4 slider. The synchro teeth had the points chipped off. (not like it's my bad shifting or anything - LOL)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts