Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the American Autowire wiring harness that FFR sells for carb cars now. I'm assuming that the pigtail coming out of the back of the TKO500 is for the neutral safety switch. If so, can I use that inline with the purple wire that runs from the ignition switch to the starter? And if this is so, can/should I also put my S2000 start button inline also?

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
I doubt if the NS will work with TKO-500 or 600. There is none on the TKO. The pigtail is for reverse...I think. Double check me.

-K

·
16,719 Posts
The pigtail on the TKO's is attached to a neutral INDICATOR switch. Not a safety switch. This switch simply tells you that the trans is in neutral. So you could hook up a little led for that purpose if you wanted to. If you have a midshifter the neutral switch no longer works.
We sell a plug if you don't plan to use the pigtail.

The reverse switch is forward on the left side of the trans with the two ribbed studs. Not threaded...ribbed. We have a different reverse switch that comes with all the parts needed to tie into your harness.

Paul
Forte's Parts Connection
781-273-9900

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Charter Member
806 Posts
The tremec web site lists the switch as a neutral safety switch and that is what I use it for on my TKO-600 (using the purple wires on my aaw harness). I also have the s2000 starter button that I am using along with a relay to start. I can start the car without getting in and don't have to worry about the transmission being in gear when I do.

Kenny

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,457 Posts
You can use the clutch switch on the side of the pedal box instead of the neutral safety switch. Just wire it into whichever switch you use to actually crank the car over. If both will turn it over, then you will need both to go through the clutch switch. I am speaking of the 87-93 pedal boxes and I am not familiar with the 94 or newer although I would expect them to have the same style clutch switch. I wired mine this way with a Painless harness and it worked perfectly, and I do believe they used a purple wire for this circuit as well. HTH

Mike

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,978 Posts
Or you could do what I did... just put a "hidden" pushbutton starter switch in the purple AAW wire. I mounted mine in the rear of my under dash panel. To start, I have to push in the switch under the dash with my left hand, turn the key w/ the right.. It'll at least make it less likely my kids will start the car with the tranny in gear...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts