Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm noticing a slight puddle under my trans especially if I have the engine running ,when I'm parked.
I cleaned the entire bottom of the trans with MEK and waited till just now to see where it might be coming from.
The only place there is any trace is at the very center towards the front along side the drain plug.
The amount is small but it's there and that really bugs me.
The trans is new but 3 years old,has only 5 miles on it,and has never been handled in a rough manner (at least not by me).
The leak seem to run along a casting mark,for about 2 inches,the rest of the case is perfectly dry.
I'm thinking of draining the fluid and completely dry the bottom and apply some J-B weld to block the casting seam.
Anyone have a better solution?
Paul M.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Could be a sand hole in the casting. If so can't see where useing some sort of epoxy is going to hurt.
Douple check it's not comeing from the vent or possibly the threads on the drain plug. Maybe pull the plug and put some tape or sealer on it.
First suspect would be the front seal but hard to say for sure without removing trany to look.
If just putting the dap of epoxy on the suspected sand hole in the casting. At worse it would tell this was not the problem.

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks HS.
I thoroughly checked to be sure it's not coming from the threads in the drain plug,or anyplace else for that matter.
It's only wet in the casting mark area.
Tonight I'll put some J-B weld on it and see what happens.
Paul M.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Paul,

My new TKO 600 leaks too but its near the back. I can't tell if its coming from the elec. speedo plug or where the rear of the case mates to the front. Its a very small leak so it doesn't bother me too much.

I know that doesn't help you, but at least you're not alone.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I am convinced that a very high percentage of Tremecs leak from the factory. I have had two new ones and both leaked.

The last one from the top front case which made me have to completely disassemble it and re-seal it.

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys,thanks for all the input.
I checked the top near the boot area and it is completely dry.
All the threaded fittings a were also checked and are totally dry.
All the mating surfaces are RTV sealed and are dry.
The only place is the very middle ,bottom sand cast mark that has a red ,wet residue all the time.
I believe it is a defect from the factory,but it's way past the warranty even though it only has 5 easy miles on it.
I'll seal it and move on to the next part of the build.
Paul M.

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok,here's the results.
I drained the trans and wiped the casting line area in the center bottom of the trans and cleaned it with Brakekleen.
Wiped it and applied a bead about 1/8 inch wide and 12 inches long of J-B weld and let it sit for about 20 hours.
Just refilled and started the motor,shifted in place for a half a minute or so and shut it down,I checked underneath and it's dry everywhere!
So the culprit was the parting line of the sand casting right down the middle of the case being porous.
A nuisance , but relatively easy fix.
Hope this helps someone else out there with the same problem.
I'll now return you to your normally scheduled program.
Paul M.
;)

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,333 Posts
Paul,
That's unfortunate. I'm going out and check mine right now since it is under warantee, but even if I had the same issue, I think it would be easier to do what you did than to have to pull the motor to replace the tranny. QC in some of the companies we have grown up with is lacking, Tremmec, Edelbrock, Autometer. I had a hole in my Air Gap manifold from casting, my Performer carb had the fuel input nipple cross threaded, Autometer gauges were incorrectly marked off the assembly line. In all cases I was taken care of by the vendor (Summit and Autometer) It's just unfortunate this should happen in the first place.
Russ

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Russ:
Have to agree on the QC issues.
Probably it's due to too much outsourcing ,after all Tremecs are made in Mexico,at least mine said it was.

Moving on to seat mounts/adjusters now.
Paul M.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.