Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Approximately 5.28635 Pints, more or less.

John S.

·
Junior Charter Member
104 Posts
Gentlemen - the current spec for the Tremec 600 and all cousins is the GM stuff or Dexron III / Mercon ATF - much cheaper

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,357 Posts
I called the Tremec tech line a while ago and asked the same question. Their tech guy stated that Dexron III should be used for the first 1000 miles and then you can use the GM synchromesh. The tech guy stated its the same as engine. Would you use synthetic to break in an engine. The answer is "NO" in my book. Pennzoil makes the GM synchromesh. You can find it at AZ and its much cheaper.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,357 Posts
Here read this:

www.5speedtransmissions.com/faq.html#BreakinProcedure

What is the proper break-in procedure for a TREMEC TR-3550/TKO 5sp?
A:

Put 3qt of good quality ATF (Auto Transmission Fluid) (Dexron) into the transmission. Pour in through shifter mount, or through one of the top plates. You can use the fill plug on the side of the transmission also (afterall, that's what it's for!). It's just easier to pour it in from the top if you can.
Put car on jacks, run the transmission up and down through all gears repeatedly for 15 minutes. This will allow the gears to break in properly (yes, with the engine running)
After 500-700 miles, drain the ATF, and put in 3qt of the GM Synchromesh fluid, the part number is 12345349. If it's a race car only, then switch to the GM Synchromesh after the initial break-in.
Don't use synthetic lube for 6000-8000 miles. In fact, we don't recommend synthetic, just stick with the GM Synchromesh.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Arn't you glad you asked?

I think we killed this one?

Are we really sure it is GM ...

·
Junior Charter Member
104 Posts
Baby - my quote is direct from the 600 data sheet that arrived with the box this week, same as the one a year ago with the previous 600 - you may rely on a pre 500 or 600 web site, but I will go with factory recomendations................

·
15,282 Posts
Wow, you mean I put GM crap in my Ford?
No, not crap. Synchromesh! Crap would be too viscous, especially for break-in.

Cheers, John

·
Super Moderator
29,271 Posts
So as to ensure there is no confusion...GM Synchromesh!

·
Junior Charter Member
104 Posts
I used the GM stuff when that was the only listed option. found it for $7 from a local Caddy dealer, but the world has changed. The operative words from the mfg ( quoting Baby ) you CAN USE, after breakin, the GM stuff. - why?
Guess it is OK, but so is Mercon. When the factory says Mercon, I have to ask - why should I pay more for some botique crap that I have no scientific basis for the premium price demanded. Thanks to TREMEC to the alternative choice.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
I held that thing in my hand and was not sure why I'm putting anything with the GM name in a FORD! But I did it.

So get GM Syncromesh

Kouros

·
6,559 Posts
There's some new ATF out there that's supposed to be really good stuff. I think it's called GM Synchromesh. Try that.

·
18,090 Posts
I held that thing in my hand and was not sure why I'm putting anything with the GM name in a FORD! But I did it.

So get GM Syncromesh

Kouros
According to Randy Jones, the "GM" part makes your car faster!!!!

:D

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
So, here I am several years later trying to answer the question "What is recommended lube for my TKO-500?" Thank goodness you beat this horse to death because otherwise I would not have found this. Here is my point: just because you've beaten a horse to death doesn't mean you have answered everybody's question...especially they mechanically impaired, such as myself.

·
Supporting Vendor & Admin
8,396 Posts
I've run synchromesh (penzoil brand) in my TKO's and it works well. That being said I've also driven a car that had Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in it and could barely tell the difference in the shifting.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I have 1800 miles on my tko600 and I am getting ready to drain and refill the trans. My question is... what fluid do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
315 Posts
The answer is still Synchromesh...

Avoid the exotic products claiming added benefits.

The Pennzoil version is much less expensive and is found in the gear oil section at your local parts store...

The TKO series has bronze blocker rings. The synchromesh works well with those rings. Synthetics tend to be a little too slick for the bronze metal-to-metal rings...

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
So I take it that the 3 bottles of Pennzoil Synchromesh that Mike Forte sent with my TKO600 are suitable?

·
Charter Member
1,754 Posts
GM Synchromesh # 12345349 cost over $20 a bottle
Pennzoil #7161193501 cost $8 at the parts store, same stuff made by the same company

Dwight

21 - 40 of 58 Posts