Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with photos of the Energy Suspension transmission mount and TK-600 tranny installed in a Mk-III?

The tranny mounting bracket on the Mk-III frame is only 1.25" by 7", with two bolt holes space ~ 3.5" C-to-C. This bracket is tiny compared to that of the Mk-II.

It isn't clear to me the ES Mustang tranny mount that came with my motor mounts actually fits the Mk-III? What am I missing?

Sherrell

[ November 27, 2006, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Sherrell ]

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I have a MkIII with the ES mount and did not have to redrill the FFR trany mount. I did have to get spacers from Forte to lift the trany about 1/2" or a little more. Also have tko 600 like you.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,168 Posts
Sherrell,
I installed that same set-up. No modification needed to the mounts or the frame. I'll send pictures later. Did you account for the mounting cradle that bolts onto the frame? The tranny mounts to the cradle, not to the frame. The cradle has multiple bolt hole options for mounting different types of transmissions. One fits the TKO/Energy combo.

Another heads-up. If you haven't installed the motor/trans yet, you may not have run into this. You need to remove one piece of the trans casting at the tail-section on the bottom. It interferes with the 4" frame cross-tube. A search should turn-up pictures of the mod.

Regards,
Pete
Pete

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
O.K. Pete... you nailed it. So I AM a dummy... I was not accounting for the transmission cradle.

So where do I find this tranny cradle? It doesn't seem to be in the transmission box. Is it a kit item, a donor item, or aftermarket item I failed to order from Mike F. with the transmission?

Sherrell

·
Senior Charter Member
1,168 Posts
Sherrell,
No worries ... there are no dumb questions. I'm guilty too. The part is called "A-frame Transmission mount" P/N 13929. For me, it came in box 10D along with the rollbars and fuel line. Check your inventory sheets.
Pete

·
Senior Charter Member
1,168 Posts
Sherrell,

Pictures!! Click to enlarge

A Frame installed

Energy Mount Bolted to A Frame

Here's a close-up of the tail section where you need to saw off a piece of the casting. A Sawzall works well, but get a new metal cutting blade ... course tooth. This is a tough alloy.

Regards,
Pete

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pete,
Thanks SO much. You've really destressed my day. Now if I can just find the A-frame mount. I don't remember seeing it when I unpacked everything last year, but I probably wouldn't remember anyway...
Cheers,
Sherrell

1 - 7 of 7 Posts