Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week ago we had a tread about titling in Michigan. For some reason, it has been removed. For those that may recall, when I last left that thread, I have gone to the Secretary of State and they had accepted my inspection, receipts and issued me an application for title using my Factory Five kit number as my VIN. They also cashed my check.

Some had said that this would not be acceptable and that they should have left that plank and had the SOS issue a VIN and someone would come out with a VIN issued by the State and attach it to my car.

Well, today I received a Title form the State of Michigan with my Factory Five kit number (FFR5468K) as the VIN. Why can’t I just keep that as the VIN and have that engraved on my plate from Factory Five?

BTW, they did title the car as a 1965 Shelby Replica. I also found a 1965 Michigan plate on Ebay that I will be using on the car.

Dave Mak

·
Junior Charter Member
148 Posts
I'm the guy that replied. My experience was exactly yours. I used the improperly issued title to get a plate and then started working the system to get a proper VIN from the enforcement guys in Lansing. Michigan issues VINs for assembled vehicles and VIN stickers to match. The purpose of the final inspection by the SOS is to apply the VIN and hand you your title. You can do what you are proposing but could have trouble selling it without a real Michigan VIN sticker. If you raise the issue with the SOS as I did, they will tell you it has to be fixed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts