Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beginning my research on what I need to be aware of before I order the kit. Do any NC build guys no what NC requires for the car to pass inspection? Will the cars nees catalytic converters. etc.? Is it a nightmare to Title in NC?

·
Senior Charter Member
2,275 Posts
Last I heard, there are no emissions inspections (cats not required). Just a safety inspection.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,665 Posts
I had some problems about 2 years ago. The problems stem from the serial numbers of the engine and transmission. To make a long story short, I had to buy a bond. It seems more related to the inspector you get than anything. Here are some links to my posts from that time.

Inspection was a breeze. Need wipers but can be a hand operated, clamp on affair. I'll see if I can find the inspection requirements for you.

http://www.ffcars.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/58/t/009920/p/1.html?
http://www.ffcars.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/58/t/011467/p/1.html?
http://www.ffcars.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/58/t/010910/p/1.html?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,665 Posts
Here's a link to the inspection requirements manual for the state. Poke around the site, it answers quite a few questions. NC manual

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the inlightning info. Please keep the info coming. When I was doing my research on the DMV website, it was saying to list the car as custon built and the year it was built, so I did not know how listing an '07 car was going to affect catalytic converters, air bags, etc. I can live with the cats, but I certainly don't need an ugly steering wheel in the car. I was planning a donor car for my build.

·
Just Pluggin Along
1,175 Posts
Yes, the car will be registered as a CUSTOM and the year built will be whenever you register the car.

As Jerry mentions, it depends a lot on the inspector you get. The biggest pain is proving that you own the motor and transmission. If you own the donor and the serial numbers on the motor and transmission match the VIN on your title, you will be OK. If you cannot read the numbers or someone put a different motor in the car, prepare to get a bond. Find your local inspector (call the license plate office) and talk with them if you want to know for sure.

There is a memo from the state concerning inspections of these cars. Basically it says that since the cars are driven so little they will generate small amounts of harmful gases, they therefore can be emissions exempt. Safety inspection only: horn, lights, and wipers. Some inspection stations are ignorant of this and may give you a hard time.

Best of luck, it really is not that bad.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,665 Posts
There is a letter from the state, somewhere I have a copy, that states pretty much what Lilnuke said. I didn't need it as both stations I've used so far had software that stated it wasn't required for a custom.

I wouldn't let it stop you from ordering!!! There are lots of FFRs in NC. Plus, we have Whitby Motors near by who is a great resource and supplier.

HTH

·
Senior Charter Member
1,665 Posts
By the way, welcome to the forum!

·
7,134 Posts
It will be a custom build and only require a safety inspection.

I have a copy of the DMV letter if you have problems and need it.

Each DMV office and inspection place has it own take on things and often you need to force them to call Raleigh to get the real take.

I go to the same inspection station for last 4 years and still fight with the front office people each time. At least the same inspector is there and he knows the car and sets them straight now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the welcome. This whole FFR thing has really consumed me. I take their brochure to the can with me several times a day. I cannot wait to get the process rolling. Thanks for everyones help and insight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts