Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello all, i just purchased a factory five roadster from Illinios, i hope i did not make mistake,

it was completed and titled in illinois 2009/:as a year:1965/make:factory five/model: custom vehicle/body:style 2 door

tried to title it in nj and they want to treat it as a new construction?

how i am going to show all the reciepts if i did not build it?

can anyone help with want i should do or need to do? thanks

· Registered
1,848 Posts
If it is already titled, you should just be registering it in NJ vice re-titling. When you title it, you are creating a VIN for that vehicle from the FFR MSO. I would imagine if you go in there and simply try to transfer the registration it will be a bit easier for you though you may need to go through an inspection process.

· Husband/Father/Son
12,416 Posts
hello all, i just purchased a factory five roadster from Illinios, i hope i did not make mistake,

it was completed and titled in illinois 2009/:as a year:1965/make:factory five/model: custom vehicle/body:style 2 door

tried to title it in nj and they want to treat it as a new construction?

how i am going to show all the reciepts if i did not build it?

can anyone help with want i should do or need to do? thanks
How does the title read (be specific)

Year
Make
Model
(any other markings on the current title that say reproduction, kit, spc constr, etc)

Did you try to title it as a "historic" or "classic"? If so, that is where Nj MVS is pushing back. Go back in to another MVS office and do the title only. Do not mention the word replica, do not mention the word kit, swap the title over only.

Bill S.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
i had nj title for about 1 hr

NJ DMV issued me a nj title for about 1 hour! when i tried to get plates on the car they sent me to another DMV to get plates, that's were i made my mistake, not knowing any better i went to washington , nj to get them, this is where i started getting educated fast on the trouble's with custom title's! they refused to give me the NJ title back and made me go back to Randolph DMV and gave me back the illionois title! refunded all my tax money and fee's! now what do i do! all they keep handing me is the number for the main DMV in Trenton? now i am waiting for a (package from titling dept).
the car is beautiful, just hope i can get it titled!

the title reads Illinois
year:1965
make: FACTORY FIVE
model: CUSTOM VEHICLE
body style: 2 DOOR
date issued: 2009

· Husband/Father/Son
12,416 Posts
when i tried to get plates on the car they sent me to another DMV to get QQ plates,
And there you have it, the mistake was attempting to put QQ plates on a kit car, that loophole has been closed for roughly 10 years. You threw up big red flags in their system when you did so, and you must now go through NJ's "kit car title process". As for receipts on the build, I would contact the seller who you purchased the car from and see if he has them in his files (or if the state of Illinois has a file on the car that might satisfy NJ's documentation requirements.

Bill S.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
maybe not as bad as i thought?

spoke to someone at the reconstructing dept. maybe can do this with 5 pictures, rub & or picture of vin, receipts of build, proves engine trans bought legally (which i now have) pay the fee's and sales tax up front, tow, get the the car to the inspection DMV in westfield nj, where they then ok the car for nj titling!? just waiting for the packet to be mailed out.

· Registered
7,813 Posts
I had to do something similar in Mass.

Had a Florida titled FFR and basically took it to state police for new VIN. Mass would not recognize floridas title.

They did not need receipts as it had already been titled.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
emissions how would that be checked in NJ?

i have a ffr roadster with a 96 mustang gt with fuel injection, w/cats, (previously titled in illinois 2009) using the ffr vin number, as a 1965 factory five, custom vehicle, has anyone had to deal with year engine emissons in NJ? i have most the receipts of the build, taxes paid for the donor car with vin, proof it was not stolen.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Inspection Results!

well finally had my nj inspection dec. 4, left on flatbed in pouring rain at 6:45am, 1hr 45mins later (should have been 40 mins) arrived still on time for 8:30 am, appointment (rain had stopped), car goes in, 2 hrs later, car PASSED!, would like to thank all that helped me with tips from their NJ inspections, i would like to add to the helpful tips list but if between the 3 techs they spoke less then 20 words to me, just thankful it passed!:)

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
finally i have nj title in hand now!

well after several (possibly self inflicted problems), i have a NJ title in hand! the inspection techs barely spoke to me, i am going to ask whats the next hurdle? i know that i need to get regular plates, (made that mistake already, with help from a local DMV) the title reads 1965/REC/CUS, do they use the title year to determine the emissions year? i received no other paper work with my title!

· Master of my Build
2,045 Posts
well after several (possibly self inflicted problems), i have a NJ title in hand! the inspection techs barely spoke to me, i am going to ask whats the next hurdle? i know that i need to get regular plates, (made that mistake already, with help from a local DMV) the title reads 1965/REC/CUS, do they use the title year to determine the emissions year? i received no other paper work with my title!

I would contact Mike crashman188 he isn't on here much but went through the same process of registering an out of state roadster.

Chris

· Husband/Father/Son
12,416 Posts
Your car is emissions exempt, you can go to the NJ DMV office of your choice and pick up a regular plate, or get the paperwork for a custom plate to send in to State Street in Trenton.

Bill S.

PS: You cannot get QQ or "collectors" plates and/or registration, just regular plates with a notation of the emissions exemption ;)

· Registered
54 Posts
Hello All, old thread here but need some assiatance.
I sold my beloved girl to a gentelman in NJ. He is having a tough time titling in NJ due to the fact the PA title dosent have a year and is marked Special Construction. Now, I know it can absolutley be done, this isnt the first FFR from PA to NJ...

Because of this he needs to coordinate a lot of activities.

That said, I had the same PIA when going from CA to PA.. However I found an awesome auto tags place in Exton PA (exton auto tags) and they handled everything.

Anyone know of a similar Auto Tag or Notary in New Jersey? This guy needs some help...

Thanks for any input...

· Husband/Father/Son
12,416 Posts
Hello All, old thread here but need some assiatance.
I sold my beloved girl to a gentelman in NJ. He is having a tough time titling in NJ due to the fact the PA title dosent have a year and is marked Special Construction. Now, I know it can absolutley be done, this isnt the first FFR from PA to NJ...

Because of this he needs to coordinate a lot of activities.

That said, I had the same PIA when going from CA to PA.. However I found an awesome auto tags place in Exton PA (exton auto tags) and they handled everything.

Anyone know of a similar Auto Tag or Notary in New Jersey? This guy needs some help...

Thanks for any input...
NJ does not have a tag or notary place that deals with titles, only state run MVS offices. The process for repairing your title falls on you, the seller, as you need to contact the PA DMV and let them know this is an issue because of the lack of a year on the title. The PA DMV will then issue you a new title with the year (usually they will ask you what year you want but not always) filled in. At that point your buyer can then take the new title to the NJ DMV and they will be issued a NJ title "at face value".

Yes, it is really that simple.

Bill S.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
it depends on what mood there in?

with help from board members was able to get mine titled in one attempt in NJ Dec of 2012, even thou it was already titled for 5 years in Illinios, i had to go threw the whole nj constructed vehicle process, fortunately the previous owner/builder had all the build documents(was very helpful), if yours was a donor car build, paperwork indicating vin number of donor car, (to prove it was not stolen and emission year, which in NJ has changed again) receipt of payment, proper paperwork of purchase from FFR (mine was stamped from FFR with the incorrect number, not matching the manufacturer title of origin) which went unnoticed by the original builder and the state of illinios titling department! pictures of the build make several copies of any forms when they faxed mine to the inspection station in westfield the middle was missing on the fax, thankfully i had brought several copies of everything, putting all the documentation and pictures neatly into a binder helps allot,
when i can find it, or can search my threads on this site and (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/) there is a check list of what is needed to pass NJ specifically, the dual rollbar is up to the inspector, which my car has, the vin number on a sticker made from a brother p touch so is can be seen behind windshield like production car would, a low brake reservoir light on dash. ride height/scrub line, gear shift ball with shift pattern on it, being a street rod owner also i was aware that NJ uses the NSRA inspection form also as a check list.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hope this helps

New Jersey Builders - Inspection

not mine, sorry borrowed this, hope this helps
New Jersey Builders - Inspection
Passed inspection at the Asbury Park DMV station yesterday. Process took almost two hours from start to finish. They said it was a really solid build and made a few minor suggestions like adding an extra clip to the x-member mounted brake line for extra rigidity, and keeping an eye on the front tires rubbing on the aluminum wheel wells. The main items they are looking for are ground clearance. But they said the Mark IV doesn't seem to have that issue. The items that are a MUST include,

1) ground clearance - nothing hanging below the frame. This includes bell housings, etc.
2) all lights and signals must work - you'll be asked to sit in the car and toggle through all the lights including high and low beams
3) brake low pressure light - they ask to see the light - it should be on the dashboard
4) if you're running cats they want to see the emissions sensor installed, not the plug.
5) you have to do a driving brake test where you drive the car about 15 feet, throw it into neutral, jam on the brakes, then a computer determines if your rear brakes lock up first. (passed this with flying colors after three attempts, I think the words they used were "perfect" or "the best they've seen" lol.
6) Gotta have wipers.
7) They check the front wheels for play! Can't be any side to side play in the wheels so make sure your tie rods are nice and tight.
8) Non-slip pads on pedals

Dispelling myths: ONE ROLL BAR IS PERFECTLY OK. There's no need to get two roll bars, or remove a seat if you only have one roll bar. There's no "one roll bar per seat rule". So yours, like mine, will pass with one roll bar.

After you pass they say that Trenton will send you the title in 7-10 days. After that, you take the title, probably back to Trenton, to register the car, then emissions.

Good luck with your builds!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.