Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently bought a 1953 MG replica car that was built on a 1973 VW chassis. The guy I bought it from had a clean PA title that had the car's "make" as asve which he told me was the category kit cars fell into in PA. I didn't think anything of it but when I went to the local DMV here in Jersey they told me that the title for this car can only be issued by mail by the office up in Trenton. I called them up and they're mailing me some more information about the process but I'd really like to hear about any experiences had by people on here involving this kind of a situation. Again, it's a 1983 kit car with a 73 vw chassis/engine and a PA title. I want to transfer the title into my name here in NJ but I DON'T WANT TO REGISTER IT. It needs some cosmetic work and I won't be driving it around public roads any time soon so I just want to get a NJ title for it, I have no desire to get it registered or to drive it on public roads. It's also being kept "out of the public eye" (which is what the guy at the DMV asked me). Any info you guys can give me about your experiences will be much appreciated, thanks.

* Also, I'm new to the forum so if I did anything wrong with this post feel free to correct me.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
Hey guys, I recently bought a 1953 MG replica car that was built on a 1973 VW chassis. The guy I bought it from had a clean PA title that had the car's "make" as asve which he told me was the category kit cars fell into in PA. I didn't think anything of it but when I went to the local DMV here in Jersey they told me that the title for this car can only be issued by mail by the office up in Trenton. I called them up and they're mailing me some more information about the process but I'd really like to hear about any experiences had by people on here involving this kind of a situation. Again, it's a 1983 kit car with a 73 vw chassis/engine and a PA title. I want to transfer the title into my name here in NJ but I DON'T WANT TO REGISTER IT. It needs some cosmetic work and I won't be driving it around public roads any time soon so I just want to get a NJ title for it, I have no desire to get it registered or to drive it on public roads. It's also being kept "out of the public eye" (which is what the guy at the DMV asked me). Any info you guys can give me about your experiences will be much appreciated, thanks.

* Also, I'm new to the forum so if I did anything wrong with this post feel free to correct me.
NJ will title the car as it appears on the PA title provided you have a PA issued VIN (blue plate affixed to the passenger side of the cars firewall, or up under the dash on a cross member)

VIN:
Make:
Model:
year:

Exactly how does your PA title read? Be very specific.

Sending everything to the State Street Trenton, NJ special titles division is your only option. I did this many times without ever an issue.

Bill S.

·
master craftsman
5,597 Posts
^^that my friend is the definitive answer right there from the man himself. You lucked out!!!:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response! The title reads as follows..

Year: 1983
Make: ASVE
Model: ?
Body Type: CONV
Prior Title State: IN
ODOM PROCD. DATE: 8/08/11
ODOM: 12300
ODOM STATUS: 0
DATE PA TITLED: 8/08/11
DATE OF ISSUE: 8/08/11

Let me know if there's any other info you need. And I've heard that I'll need to have the car go through a "special inspection" in order to get a NJ title for it? Do you know anything about this? I'd understand if I needed to get it inspected for registration but I don't intend on driving the thing any time soon so I just want the title transferred.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
Thanks for the response! The title reads as follows..

Year: 1983
Make: ASVE
Model: ?
Body Type: CONV
Prior Title State: IN
ODOM PROCD. DATE: 8/08/11
ODOM: 12300
ODOM STATUS: 0
DATE PA TITLED: 8/08/11
DATE OF ISSUE: 8/08/11

Let me know if there's any other info you need. And I've heard that I'll need to have the car go through a "special inspection" in order to get a NJ title for it? Do you know anything about this? I'd understand if I needed to get it inspected for registration but I don't intend on driving the thing any time soon so I just want the title transferred.
Ok, first thing you did wrong is mention the words "kit car", be definition, the special titles division is now sending you the standard "kit car" package to title the car from scratch. Where you have a problem is that your car is already titled in PA, so the package is technically invalid.

Go to another MVS office, fill out the paperwork for title transfer only (if they ask why, tell them the car is not yet running, leave it at that). If they question the title paperwork, explain to them the car has a PA issued VIN,(no other explanation needed, you do not know why, but this is what it has) again, leave it at that. Do not mention the words "Replica or Kit Car" as they will be confused like they were the last time.

Yes, it really is that simple

Bill S.

·
Charter Member
3,441 Posts
You may also want to post your question over at MGTD Kit Car Forums

However Mrmustang should know his stuff as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help Mrmustang. Would the aim be to get them to put ASVE as the make on the NJ title? Have you done this in the past?

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
Thanks for the help Mrmustang. Would the aim be to get them to put ASVE as the make on the NJ title? Have you done this in the past?

Many times, if it does not work for the person behind the counter (sometimes they have to force feed the computer system), you can use "rdstr" or "roadster" in the same slot, both are in their system.

Bill S.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
mrmustang your the best

Yes this is a great place to ask your questions.. We have many experts here at ffcars, mrmustang is one of the best. Will this new member continue to follow our forum or is this the last we will here from him? mrmustang did not event give it a thought.

Thank You mrmustang.

·
Registered
3 Posts
One further Question

I have been able to Title and register (plus insurance) my Kit car in NJ by going to DMV. Its a Mercedes SSK replica on a 1972 Ford Mustang Chassis. How do I get it inspected so I get a collector or historic or whatever Sticker?

Thanks - Adil

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
I have been able to Title and register (plus insurance) my Kit car in NJ by going to DMV. Its a Mercedes SSK replica on a 1972 Ford Mustang Chassis. How do I get it inspected so I get a collector or historic or whatever Sticker?

Thanks - Adil
You can no longer get a historic tag or a Collectors registration for a kit car in NJ. That loophole has been closed.

As for your contention of your car being built on a 1972 Mustang chassis, sorry, that is a story you were fed by the seller and is not based in reality.

What you have is a Gazelle kit and a 1972 Mustang engine (DZ2 engine casting). Gazelle kits were built either using a Pinto or VW chassis and suspension. Given you have a 1972 Ford V8 engine (if that is what you really have), then I'm guessing that you have the Pinto chassis based replica kit.

Regardless, you are stuck using a regular NJ registration and private garage inspections as the state run inspection station will not know how to classify your car in their computer system.

Hope you find this helpful.

Bill S.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you

Hi Bill,

Upon more searching and verification of paperwork, you are right - it is built on a ford pinto chassis I don't know whey the title reads make - Ford and model - MUT.

I will have to go get inspected at a private facility. Thanks for your help.

Adil

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
Hi Bill,

Upon more searching and verification of paperwork, you are right - it is built on a ford pinto chassis I don't know whey the title reads make - Ford and model - MUT.

I will have to go get inspected at a private facility. Thanks for your help.

Adil
The next question is, does it actually have a V8 under the hood, or the standard pinto 4cyl engine?

Also, you might want to put what town you live in, as there are plenty of kit car owners scattered around NJ. Most have get togethers at least once a month and are not "cobra exclusive".

Bill S.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The next question is, does it actually have a V8 under the hood, or the standard pinto 4cyl engine?

Also, you might want to put what town you live in, as there are plenty of kit car owners scattered around NJ. Most have get togethers at least once a month and are not "cobra exclusive".

Bill S.
Man Don't I feel like an idiot. Please bear with me I will get better.
I live in Middlesex , NJ near Bridgewater.
The actual motor is 4cyl and 4 speed manual
I'll try to update my profile soon.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I too followed the suggestions made by mrmustang on transferring a title in NJ.
First I made the mistake of going to the office in Toms River.. The office help looked at me like I was a anthrax carrying terrorist. Their suggestion was to go to Trenton...Well that's not going to happen...So I made the 82.2 mile trip to Randolph. They have their stuff together....not even an eye blink...the Guy behind the counter asked what the car looked like and when I told him his reply was "sweet"...that's when I knew I'd go for the plates too... not only did he take care of everything he also gave me a New car dealer inspection sticker that's good for four years of exemptions....the car was titled in Michigan as a
Assembled Vehicle 2014
Roadster
2 Dr
mrmustang knows his stuff......

Gene

1 - 16 of 16 Posts