Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the FordFun Drop Butt Special has been on the road for about 500 miles now. No problems since I took care of the Moroso T filler issue. I never liked the look of the front wheel wells with the low profile tires, and in my opinion the 235 60 15's didnt look right without setting the ride height too low. So I went with 245 60 15 on the front and 255 60 15 in the back. It allows me to run 4.5 " ground clearance and still fill up the fenderwheels. The turbines arent my dream wheels, but Halibrands are a couple years away, according to my budget director. The drop butt mod has been done for a year now, with no ill effects, cracks or other problems with the fiberglass. I'm just enjoying the car and the thought of tearing it all back apart to paint it isnt too appealing, so perhaps next year I will break down and shoot some paint on it.

PS If someone knows how to resize this picture, please drop me a note and I'll email it to you.

Gary

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
How big do you want the picture? I can resize it from the one you've posted.

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Hey! It's the 'Cobra in a field' of legend! :D

Looks great Gary, I'm doing the drop butt too and it sure makes the car look different.

I've seen the turbines with the inside of the 'vanes' painted black and some center caps added, and while they still aren't HBs they look pretty dang nice that way.

·
Senior Charter Member
887 Posts
It truly is a thing of beauty now even without paint!!!

·
Charter Member
264 Posts
Gary -- would you post more pictures of the car? I closely followed the drop butt mod and I'd love to see more. If you need them resized, just e-mail them to me and I'll be happy to do it...

Ben

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dan, Mike posted a link to one of my posts from last year. It involves lowering the rear of the car about 1.75 inches without too much difficulty. I didnt care for the "perky butt" that the FFR is famous for. You can do a search on the 2003 archives for complete step by step instructions. There had been some comments about stress cracks from dropping the rear section, and after a year now, there are no cracks, and I'm still thrilled with the results. Ive sent Ben some pics to resize and I will post them when I get them back.

Gary

·
Cobra Colorist
5,632 Posts
Man, no one noticed the bitchen artwork on the door...nice sun scape :rolleyes: :D ...car looks great.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
You guys got a song stuck in my head now . . . bad 80's flashback:

"I like big butts and I can't deny"

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for the pic. I am doing the Ford Fun drop butt mod on mine soon and have been following it pretty close when you post. I am going to go 2 1/4 drop (put the bottom bumper bolt through the top body hole and mount a strap to bolt on the bottom body hole to).

I have been thinking of going to 245/60-15's in the front. Those tires really look good on there. Any problems with rubbing?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dave,
The 245's have not rubbed...yet. About 500 miles of somewhat aggressive street driving, but no "dive in the corner" autocrossing with them. I think its possible they could rub with the wheels cut hard and the suspension bottomed, but the 600 pound springs don't let it lay over too much. I may run a little more neg camber if I run into trouble, but I'm dont think I'll need to. These cars just dont look right to me if the wheel wells arent full of tire.

Gary

1 - 17 of 17 Posts