1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of JETZON REVENGER GT tires,made by
COOPER ? The 295-50 x15's are very hard to find up here in
Canada.I could have those within a week.Seem to have a good
deal also,the 235-60x15's for $109.and the 295-50x15's,$155.
Would like a little feedback from you guys,
Build is getting along,working on the brake lines and harness,
should be shopping for a engine early spring.Will be posting
pics soon.
Thank's Hatley

·
Registered
517 Posts
Never heard of these tires before. But why not just go with the Cooper Cobra GT? Specs and tire sizes are similar.

I've got the Cooper Cobras on my SPF and they're just fine for weekend cruising, which is what I mainly do.

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
Never heard of JETZON REVENGER GT before, but I think Cooper generally has a pretty good reputation for their tires.
Alternate sizes for the rears that some builders are using include, 265-50-15, 255-50-15, and 275-50-15 Depends on your wheel width.

235-60 15's a good choice for the fronts. Steering is not so heavy especially if you have manual steering. They will also work well with donor lower control arms.

Since I have had difficulty finding suitable 15" tires, I did a little google search on these Jetzon tires.
Not much in the way of reviews found. NHTSA has no warnings or recalls that I could find. I did find this gov't link, which may indicate the manufacture may actually be Goodyear, and are also tied in somehow, with the Kelly-Springfield Co. Least the US Army thinks they are ok.. lol

Scroll down to page 25
http://www.doi.gov/greening/procurement/upload/US-Army-Tank-Automotive-and-Armaments-Command.pdf

·
Master Student
1,499 Posts
I'm interested in what everyone has to say about this topic since i will have to buy tires next year. I have loved my Mickey Thompson's but don't really have anything to compare them to. I haven't heard of the Jetzons but would consider anything with good reviews.

P.S. Can you ship to Canada without a hassle or expense?

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Do a little research on what company actually makes the tires. I remember years ago that if you got Sears tires for your car they were actually a Michelin tire. It is costly to set up molds to build tires and a number of brands that have a different "name" on them actually come from the same source.
CB

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
flash back

Haven't seen Jetzon Revenge since the mid to late seventies when my oldest brother had them on his 72 Mustang fastback.
Back then they were Revenge 60 and were a bias tire. Had a look of Pro-Trac of today.
If I did it again, I'd again so the Firehawk Indy500's

·
Registered
517 Posts
they are definately made by Cooper,exact same tire as Cobra GT's same tread,etc.white letters,but dont really like the Jetzon name, would mount them white letters inside.
A little Googling reveals that Jetzon Tire is one of several tire brands marketed by Treadways Corp., a subsidiary of Sumitomo America by way of the TBC Corporation. It appears that the production of Jetzon Tires is contracted out, possibly to Cooper Tire as you suggest.

Cooper produces several tires for its own in-house brands -- Cooper, Mickey Thompson and Mastercraft -- that share the same tire carcass. However, the tread design for each is different. The tread pattern on the Jetzon Revenger GT is different from the Cooper Cobras, as you can see from the following pics, but maybe it shares the same basic construction.

You might want to check out the thread I started on Club Cobra about 15 inch tires for Cobras: Which 15-inch radials should I install on my Superformance MkIII? - Club Cobra. There was some good info and comments from owners there.

###

Company Profile courtesy of Hoovers

Treadways Corporation
2000 Campus Lane
Norristown, PA 19403
Phone (800) 895-1449
www.TreadwaysCorp.com

Treadways Corp is making tracks in the US tire market. A subsidiary of TBC Corporation (www.tbccorp.com), Treadways is one of North America's largest marketers of private-brand tires. Originally established by Sumitomo Corp. of America to import and market Sumitomo branded tires, the company expanded beyond the Japanese lineup in 1985. Treadways markets tires made by major manufacturers such as Goodyear and Cooper Tire & Rubber under nameplates Laramie, Telstar, Jetzon, Eldorado, as well as Sumitomo. Its customers, numbering more than 4,000, include independent tire retailers and automotive service centers, and wholesalers in the US, Canada, and Mexico.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank's for the good info,Sundude,with your pics,now I see
the different tread designs.My first choice was the Firestones
firehawk's but they discontinued the 295's recently.

thank's again Hatley R,F.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thank's for the good info,Sundude,with your pics,now I see
the different tread designs.My first choice was the Firestones
firehawk's but they discontinued the 295's recently.

thank's again Hatley R,F.
The Firestone are only S rated for speed. That's not a lot.

The three tires above are T rated. This also isn't a lot, but it's better than S.

Of the lot, I think you'll be happiest with the Coopers assuming you plan to simply street drive the car. Best combination of price, quality and availability, especially up here in the Great White North. I believe 1010tires has the Coopers priced at $140-160 depending on size. Hard to beat.

For track use you'll need better tires than any of these. In 15 inch I'd choose the Avon CR6ZZ. Great tires, but pricey.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I think hatley has access to an address on the other side of the border. For us near Ottawa, a buddy of mine said he had TireRack tires delivrered to the UPS store for pick up in Ogensburg, NY, just on the other side of the US bridgre at the end of HW 416, 45 mins from downtown Ottawa.

UPS will store them for 5$ / tire / week if you can't pick them up right away.

So it may be worth it to check tire rack prices... But the price listed in the first post look very appealing!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Just went on line on TireRack and found BFGoodrich Radial T/A 295/50R15 and 235/60R15 for 179 and 119. Shipping to Gatineau 180. If you incl duties, fees and taxes grand total 914.04 USD.

That's about 300 more than Hatley's original deal that started this thread.

1010 tires was much more expensive, but they had the Coopers but for more money than the BF's on TireRack.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
1010 tires is canadian.
Shipping and taxes in (GST only it seems) = 794.97$ for the same sizes as the BFG's listed 2 posts down. that's still 180 more than Hatley's deal on the JETZON's (assuming tire prices as quoted, 5% GST, 9.5% PST and 12$ Qc tire fee, no shipping). But for the same tires (if I read the posts correctly) the Coopers will look much cooler and I have spend more than a few 180$ for good looks items on this roadster and Tires will be more visible then most of the other gadgets!

Cooper COBRA RADIAL G/T-P295/50R15 (105S)
SKU: T-39602C $195.99 x2 $391.98 (CAD)

Cooper COBRA RADIAL G/T-P235/60R15 (98T)
SKU: T-39612C $134.99 x2 $269.98 (CAD)

Subtotal: $661.96 (CAD)

Shipping And Tax Estimate
Shipping: (Courier Ground Option 1 (Ontario & Quebec)) $95.15 (CAD)
Tax: $37.86 (CAD)
Total: $794.97 (CAD)

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
How do tire shops react, when you show up at their door looking to have them install tires, that you bought elsewhere? Do they rake you over the coals on price for mounting and balancing?

Wonder if anyone has installed 255-60r15 on the rear, with the longer axles? Any rub or clearance issues? I have the T-bird turbo coupe solid rear set up, which is about 3/4" per side wider than the stock fox mustang width..

Currently my 225-60r15 Avids are 25.60" in height, whereas the 255-60r15's are 27.04", over an inch taller. The 275-60r15's jump up to over 2" taller, (as well my current rims may be to small width wise) (7" I think), although they still might fit.

I would stick with the 225-60r15 on the front, but would like a slightly wider rear, which the 255-60r15 would do by about 2"
I wish the Yokohama Avids were still available in the sizes I need. :( They have been a great tire in so many ways. Looks like the Cooper Cobra's may be able to fit the bill.

I notice 1010Tire is in BC, so shipping to the Island is only $39.00 That's much cheaper than me taking a ferry over to pick them up..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Went through the same thing after deciding to go with 15's. After listening to tons of opinions, I went with Richard from North Race Car's recommendation of 255-60-15 on 10" for the rear and 235-60-15 on 8" for the front. Tires are Firestone Indy 500 and are probably the most period correct setup I've seen. The tires aren't all that bad either, ride is great and they work pretty decent overall. I raced cars for 40 yrs so I know that you can come up with a lot better handling package with the 17's with a more modern tire, but most of these cars start getting a little light in the front at 100 mph or better anyways.
For your average cruiser this is a great way to go.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Just call your local tire store and/or mechanic and see what they'd charge for the Coopers, Jetzons, Mickey Thompsons or whatever you want. It's probably not as bad as you might think.

For my Cobra, I had my mechanic order and install the Coopers. His price was $163-171 plus installation (size 255/60R15 and 275/60R15). The current price for these sizes from 1010 Tires is $142-160. 1010 Tires usually offers a couple "free shipping" promos during the year, which is great if you can wait.

I ordered tires once from Tire Rack USA and had them delivered to my house. Prepaid shipping and customs fees were steep, but the tire size I needed was not available through Yokohama Canada so I imported them instead. My mechanic installed them at his normal install/balancing rate. No biggie. He just didn't want to accept responsibility for the tires themselves, as he didn't source them for me.

I understand if you wanna cross-border shop to save some money. But personally I wouldn't take a flyer on some unknown brand of tires just to save a couple bucks. That's a false economy. Put good tires on your mega-horsepower Cobra.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I admit,not quite as cool as the Coopers,but with the white letters
inside,who will know?It's the size (295)I want,made by Cooper,
same quality,I get the wholesale price,free delivery to my door
from a Canadian distributor.they should arrive in ten days,I'll
post some pics once mounted on the Halibrands.

Thank's again for all the info.you guys,I love it.

Hatley R.F.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Gents I think the ontario cooper distributor is just south of Ottawa in the quiet town of Williamsburg.

I believe mr. Pinkus, the owner, told me in the past he could bet any price. He said all coopers in this area run through him.

Might be blowing smoke but worth a call

Vic

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I'm not sure how to make sense of the fact that SunDude' fronts are the same size as Lakeside's rears!!!!!

Ooops I meant the other way around, but you see my point?

I too have the intermediate rear end width (from a 97 GT - 3/4" more than Fox on both sides)... Anxious to see how I'll do with tires and ride height...

I thought 235/50 and 295/60 were the norm in R15, guess not...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.