Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Master Air Guitarist...
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kit is on order!.....so, I want to buy as much stuff as possible now so I can rip through the build as soon as the kit shows up. Please forgive if these are stupid questions...I always try and do as much research as possible before asking.

Tires and wheels. I really like the look of the cars out there that have a lot of sidewall versus wheel (does that make sense?). I want to have a lot of sidewall, and the widest tires possible. Love the look of the "deep" halibrand type wheels. Knowing that I'm using the "standard" 8.8 rear that comes with the ffr kit and the brakes/spindles that comes with the kit....do you guys have a recommendation on wheel/tire sizes and models based on the above...that will fit without any problems?

Thanks so much.

·
4,494 Posts
Well, you are going to want 15" wheels to get that classic original look, which is what I have. If you want wide tires also, be aware that this is going to increase the ride height so, which you don't have happen with 17" low profile tires. The Hilabrand replicas are available in both 17 and 15 inch, and I believe several other forum vendors brands. Talk to Richard Oben as he is one of the experts on wheels, brakes, backspacing and offsets issues.

·
Master Air Guitarist...
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bill32! Do you have a link to some pics of your car? I'd love to see them. Also, how do I find a members' email (i.e. Richard Oben)?

Thanks!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
Finding good 15" performance tires seems to be getting worse, About the only thing I've been able to find are the BFG Radial T/A, Drag Radials, and Mickey Thompsons.
I am running the 15" Mustang turbine wheels and I had settled on the Radial T/A's in the 235/60 fronts and 275/50 rears that several of the guys had recommended. It seems that you can't get the 275/50's any more. 275/60's are available but reports are that they rub. I don't really want to go to the additional expense of the Drag Radials and Mickey Thompsons
Anybody found any other good 15" tires that I've missed?
Thanks

[ October 15, 2007, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: lperry, #4227 ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,531 Posts
You can run a 235/60/15 on the front on an 8" rim and you can run a 295/50/15 on the rear on a 10" rim. I ran these sizes on my 3rd Mark 1. I had to do a little trimming to fit the rears but it was worth it. The Mark 3 bodies are a little wider than the older bodies and the framework has been modified to allow for more room to the inside as well, so I would say 295's would fit without modification on a Mark 3. I am assuming you went with 87-93 spindles or 94-95 spindles in 5 lug for the front and you are sticking with 87-93 width rear end.

Mike

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,706 Posts
Here are my 15 steels on my mkI.This needed the 315 mod and still slightly rubbed the inside of the fenders. Your mkIII has all that fixed as supplied.

Two issues w/ 15s are
1.few tires to choose from
2.tire diameter is the killer and limits you to 295/50 in the rear(317x17s are actually smaller except the tread width)

·
Master Air Guitarist...
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CraigS - Those are sweet wheels/tire combo...car looks AWESOME.

Can you tell me the make/style of your wheels...never seen them before.

Also, what tires are you running on them?

Thanks so much

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,706 Posts
Wheels are from Diamond Racing Wheels.Tires are Dunlop GT qualifiers 295/50 and 235/60.
http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/TOC.htm
They make any and all sizes in 15 inch,4 or 5 lug,width in 1/2 in increments and near any backspacing.mine were 8x15 w/5 in BS in front and 10x15 w/6.5 in BS in rear.just under $400 to my door 2 yrs ago.All Fox suspension stuff.Slight rubbing on the inside of the rear fender on straightline bumps w/ full fuel and/or a passenger.No rub cornering.this was a MkI,so a mkIII would have no rubbing at all.PS They are for sale but w/ a pair of 225/50x15 tires on the front.I haven't really posted cause i have no idea how they could be shipped.

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Or worst yet, trying to fill the wheel wells with those nasty 295/50R15 tires!

Click on image to go to 295/50R15 Gallery.

What's this world coming to? :D

·
Master Air Guitarist...
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK Larry....you got me! How do I get those deep dish rims??? Would I need to get the axle shortened???

Since we are on the subject...here's what I've "picked out" as what I want to run. Please provide any insight on rubbing, fit issues with rotors, spindles, etc. For info, I'm getting the complete kit (95 spindles, 11" gt rotors front, bla bla bla)...

295/50R-15
235/60R-15
I think dunlop qualifiers. what backspacing should I be getting from Team III?

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
To get "Deep Dish", yes, you need to narrow the rear axle 2.5" per side (starting with "Fox width" of 59.25") to 54.25" flange-to-flange.

If you get your Team III rims from Richard Oben of North Racecars, he will be the proper one to advise on backspace.

Or look at "Backspacing".

You might want to consider FFR "pin drive" front lower control arms so the fronts can be a little deeper, too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts