Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Tire recommendations?

6K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  dwmaurer86 
#1 ·
My Nitto NT555 tires are now 10 years old and need replacement for safety. I'm looking at the Nitto NT555 G2. I don't race or autocross, so any others I should consider? Sizes are 245/45 R 17" and 315/35 R 17" Jim

#3 · (Edited)
Nitto NT555 G2

The G2's look more narrow than the original 555's. I'm running 255/40 R 17 on the fronts which are supposed to be wider and the width is pretty flush with the wheel lip as is.

Happy with the tires overall but the originals looked nicer IMHO.

These are my front G2's in 255/40 R 17.

Attachments

#4 ·
Just ordered the 555G2’s for my new build. Planning some autocross then I finally get it on the road. Look like really good tires for our cars.

#7 ·
I really like Goodyear GS-D3s especially in the rain. I tend to get wet. Ran 2 sets of these.

Agree w/ Bob, the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s are excellent tires. I've run these cross country, in heavy rain and on the track. I will probably run these when I get back on the road, primarily due to rain and all-around performance.

Jim

#8 ·
I have the Michelin PS2's on my car since 2014, and they are due for replacement. Have been great, and I have recommended them several times.

But the 245/45/17 has been discontinued. The alternative is a 255/40/17, which I will probably use. The 275/40/17 is still available, so no problem for the rear. (I have a mk1 without the 315 mod)

One of the problems with these tires, just to warn you, is the price. Michelin is very proud of them.

#9 ·
I just got one delivered for body & paint that is wearing Mickey Thompson Street Comps in our common 245/45 and 315/35 sizes. Don't know how they perform but they are a nice looking tire with specs similar to the 555G2.

Jeff

#10 ·
Another vote for the G2s

I had the old Nitto 555s and wasn't thrilled with them, especially in cooler temps. Switched to the Kuhmo ECSTAs, and they were stickier. Switched next to the new Nitto G2s, and I love them. Softer, yet more sure-footed ride. Can't wait to get them to Mid-Ohio.

#12 ·
I just bought a new set of G2's last year, $588 from Discount Tire Direct. Scott

#13 ·
I did the swap from 10 year old Sumi's to the G2's. I probably could have gone to an old plastic bag and would have had better traction than the old Sumi's, but I really like the G2's. They have better traction in all areas than the Sumi's ever did.

I looked around at all brands and found that some sizes were available for front but not rear, and visa versa. I believe it was just Mickey Thompson's and the Nitto's that were available in both the front and rear 17" sizes.

#14 ·
Nitto G2 Front Tire Profile

Does anyone have a profile view of the Nitto G2 in 245/45 R17? I would like to see how they compare to the Nitto G2 255/40 R17 I posted in an earlier post.

The 245/45 R17 has the matching diameter to the 315/35 R17 but the width is narrower than the 255/40 R17.

Just curious how much of a difference it makes. Like I stated earlier, my 255/40 sidewall is pretty much flush with my rim lips.

#15 ·
I had the same issue with 10 year old tires and I also do not autocross or race (yet). For the street, I find the G2 to be a great tire. I drive all year long and even in the cold or wet, they seem fine. What I find funny is how cheap they were. I paid more money for tires on my minivan than these.

#17 ·
10Year Old Tires

Is it just me or is it odd that anyone would have 10 year old tires on a high performance car?

My understanding is that effective safe tire life is 6 years. Less if performance is important.

I’m always mindful of tire date codes. Just something to keep in mind.:surprise:

#18 ·
Is it just me or is it odd that anyone would have 10 year old tires on a high performance car?

My understanding is that effective safe tire life is 6 years. Less if performance is important.

I’m always mindful of tire date codes. Just something to keep in mind.:surprise:
I think you have a point there. OTOH, our cars are most always garaged so deterioration caused by UV is not as much as a DD that sits outside all the time.

#19 ·
I have 12,000 miles on the 10 year old Nittos, with little wear. Did lots of driving in the first few years, but less lately, due to some health and family issues. Maybe I'm ageing out along with the tires!

#20 ·
I am a fan of NT05s. On these cars, stickier is better / safer. I do autocross though, so am always looking for grip. I get about 9 - 10K mikes with lots of street driving and 12+ autocross events each season.

If the 555s made it for 10 years, you won't wear out the grippier NT05s too soon.

Of course the 555s will be better in the wet.

#26 ·
Thank you for this post. Since I drive my Cobra on the street in pretty much all weather and by "all weather" I mean sun unless I get surprised by rain, I really wanted tires on my car that were good for the street and not just the track. I feel much better about my purchase of the 555s now.

#21 ·
Started with Sumi's for the first few years, not knowing what I didn't know - that they were total crap. Way too hard and no traction. On the other hand, I learned how to drive this beast with limited traction, which probably made me a better driver.

Switched to Kuhmo Ecsta XS's and wow what a difference! Super sticky and do fairly well in the rain. Love, love, love these tires. But alas, they're no longer available in 315's. Crap.

99% sure I'm going with Nitto NT05's next. The traction should be on par with the Kuhmo's and ok in the wet. I run a degree of negative camber up front so the inside shoulders are pretty worn. I drive about 3k a year, so if they last me 3-4 years I'm a happy camper.

#22 ·
The NT05 is very comparable to the Khumo Ecsta XS . I think The NT05 has a little more lateral grip. I think you will like them. Not like you have much choice.

The tires that autocrossers really want are BFG Rival S and Bridgestone RE 71R. No 315 / 17" in either. I keep checking.

#23 ·
The 05 and XS are pretty comparable. An autocross buddy who ran both gave a slight edge to the XS but said that the margin wasn't big. I ran two sets of XS before switching to Nitto NT-01. Like the 01s but they are truly a track tire (even though they are DOT legal the sidewall says "For competition events only"). My current set is used up after ~4,000 miles and I think I may try a set of the new Toyo 888Rs which are also a 100TW R-Comp.

Jeff

#24 ·
I used to have $250.00 Bridgestone pole position tires that I never wore out due to their age. The rubber turned hard and it was like being on ice and the car would shudder bad if you tried to do a burn out. So I didn't want to put the cash out for expensive tires not knowing how much I would drive and or race on them again. after a lot of searching I found these and took a chance... Verdict..... Love'em….. Found at Tire Rack of all places. for just 80 bucks plus mounting at your local shop they feel just as good as the expensive tires..
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ear=1993&autoModel=Mustang Cobra&autoModClar=
You might have to cut and paste but they are Riken Raptor ZR A/S 245/45 A search under Ford Mustang Cobra 1993 should bring them up as well. Hope this is useful.

#25 ·
I have Nitto NT555 G2s on all 4 corners (Front - 285/35/18 and Rear - 305/30/20) and, while they work well and look great, I feel there are better tires out there for our application.

My suggestion would be to look at something with a sub 200 treadwear rating... like the Toyo R888s.

#28 ·
12 years old! My buddy had 10 years on his Cobra Mustang Goodyear tires and wondered why he started losing 3 lbs of air each day. Upon closer examination the tread and belt was delaminating , exposing the casing cords. He had just returned from a twisty mountain drive that day. Lucky! I think I'll opt for a fresh set very soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.