Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 15" wheels and are looking at using Mickey Thompson (MT) tires, ET Street S/S. Any thoughts on these? Not worried about wear rate or racing, we just like the look.

On size: For the rears we'll use 275/60R15, the same size that is on now and fits great. But the front is more complicated. I have 245/60R15 now but MT only makes a 235/60R15 in the ET Street S/S. Anyone using tires this size? thoughts? How do they look?

Thanks,
Brian
PS we won't be racing.
b-

·
Charter Member
1,125 Posts
TIRE SIZE /
EQUIV. SIZE
MEAS RIM
APPROVED RIMS
O.D. IN.SECT. WIDTH IN.TREAD WIDTH IN.CIRC.COMPOUNDAPX. WT. LBS.MATL #.PART #
P235/60R15
26X9.50R15
( 7.0 ) 6.5-8.526.29.48.382.4R229900000245

Compare the OD, and widths with the 245s you have now. They are most likely not much different.
Also note that R2 tires probably don't perform as well as a typical street tire in colder or wet weather. I also run an R compound tire, but below 40 degrees, or chances of rain, I keep it parked in the garage.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TIRE SIZE /
EQUIV. SIZE
MEAS RIM
APPROVED RIMS
O.D. IN.SECT. WIDTH IN.TREAD WIDTH IN.CIRC.COMPOUNDAPX. WT. LBS.MATL #.PART #
P235/60R15
26X9.50R15
( 7.0 ) 6.5-8.526.29.48.382.4R229900000245

Compare the OD, and widths with the 245s you have now. They are most likely not much different.
Also note that R2 tires probably don't perform as well as a typical street tire in colder or wet weather. I also run an R compound tire, but below 40 degrees, or chances of rain, I keep it parked in the garage.
Thanks for this! No worries about cold or rain as I'm a fair weather driver LOL...
Brian

·
Senior Charter Member
653 Posts
You are aware that those tires are a drag radial right? I don't know what the handling would be like with those on the front axle. Typically drag radials have weak sidewalls to maximize traction in a straight line, not the best for turning even if you aren't doing anything crazy. Maybe the Sportsman S/T would be a better option?

·
Senior Charter Member
2,293 Posts
The Dodge Demon comes with drag radials on all 4 corners straight from the factory. If drag radials on the front were an issue, I'd think the the engineers at Dodge would have said no. Similar to the OP, I do not track my car. I have 15" wheels and drag radials on all 4 corners and do not regret it. I like the way they look, hook and stop.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I ran 275/40/17 drag radials on the rear for ~3000 miles. Hooked great (could use all of first gear with a 3300 rpm launch at the the drag stirp) but I did not like the lateral breakaway during hard cornering. I have gone to all R compound Nittos.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,293 Posts
@Edward B The OP has 15" wheels, not 17". And does not track his car. Tire selection is slim pickings for 15s.

·
Not a waxer
12,151 Posts
A friend asked me to make some autocross runs in his roadster equipped with drag radials on all 4 when he couldn’t get a handle on it. It was pretty awful. The soft sidewalls allowed the car to squirm rather than turn precisely. The feedback to steering inputs was delayed because the tire flex had to be absorbed before the car reacted. It was kind of like the steering wheel was connected to the tires with a rubber band. I don’t recommend them for anything other than going in a straight line or cruising sedately while going to get ice cream.

Jeff

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would use Cooper Cobra's before the MT ET's. As said before not ideal for these cars unless you drag race
I know the OP didn't ask for other tire choices, but I'll second the Cooper Cobras. Us 15"ers have very limited tire options(and getting worse), but the Coopers are doing pretty well for me in mileage, aesthetics, traction, and turning. Super cold roads are still touchy, but I've even road-course tracked the Coopers(didn't feel like changing them out that day...) and although they are NOT race tires, I kept it out of the dirt and posted some good personal times.
Not that drag radials are bad, but the Coopers will be a much better all around tire and still give that nice 15" look that some of us want.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Try the Mickey Thompson ST Radials.
Cooper Cobras have been running well for me as a street tire --- no racing or autocross. Very good inventory available in 15 inch, and they have a great "period correct" look in the wheel wells.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is why I love this forum... you folks are great! Thank you for all the thought provoking information. I'll ruminate on it all and let you know when I pull the trigger. Stay tuned... In the meantime, I go in this Friday to begin the registration process, fingers crossed, wish me luck. Oh, I was also advised by a terrific guy on this forum so batting 1000!
Brian

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,081 Posts
I have run several (3 or 4)sets of 15" MT ETs out back on the street and at the drag strip. I would drive from Portland Ore down to Medford(300mi ish) and drag race and than drive back home on wknds. Hell , I drove my ETs all over the great NW (Wa,Ore, Idaho,N Ca,ect) no problems! NOT a good rain tire at all! Would get about 7000-8000 mi on a set. Got kicked off all the drag strips, so now I run 15" Cobras yr, round ! Just saying-- Have fun-be safe

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R Radial - 26X12R15 for the back are almost the same size as the original billboards. The 26x10x15 for the front. Radials, good street manners, mileage, and traction. OK at the strip and autocross.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Mickey Thompson

·
Junior Charter Member
3 Posts
I'm running MT Sportsman S/R, P28/12.00-15 on the back with 10" rims and P26/10.00-15 on 8" rims in front. I run Hoosiers TD's at the track and use these for my street tire, but wanted to see how well they would do at speed. Very impressive. And, Yes, they look great.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Ac cobra

1 - 19 of 19 Posts