Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Charter Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 15" wheels, what tire pressures are you running Front & Back ?

I can imagine three possibilities...

Around town
Highway cruising/trip
Competition

Of course tires and wheel sizes will be different, but a ballpark number might help me improve my setup....

(Small block, Team 3 wheels. 235 fronts & 275 rears, BFG)

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
With 15 inch wheels, most are running around 25psi. With lower profile tires, you can run lower pressures. The lower pressures give better traction. Pete

·
Junior Charter Member
362 Posts
Detroit Kim,
Does that translate to a regular road car also? I have a '00 Jetta and the tires (15") are rated to 44psi.

Scott

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
I read a thread about a year back that mentioned 2400lb car roughly 24lbs tire pressure. That's about what I'm going to run but I'm not on the road yet. I'll check tire wear and see if it's too much or too little.

Mike M.

·
2,860 Posts
Detroit Kim,
Does that translate to a regular road car also? I have a '00 Jetta and the tires (15") are rated to 44psi.
YES; boat trailers, SUV, its all about weight. The Jetta should have the proper pressure on the driver's door or jam. 44# on a tire is just telling you the maximum pressure for the tire...what ever it might be used on.

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
^^^
Yup.

On my cruise last weekend, I did put it over 26lb. all around because I wanted more road feel; the stiffer sidewalls on my 17" would mean a little more feel and response to input. I like a little spirited driving every so often. :D

That reminds me, I need to let some air out for this weekend. :D

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
The rating on the sidewall is the max pressure at max vehicle weight. Not necessarily the pressure that should be in there on your car.

The correct answer is, you need enough pressure to create a flat contact patch. About 1 psi per 100 pounds of weight is usually about right to start. That puts you in the right ball park for street driving.

Drive around for about 30 minutes and get the tires nice and hot. Rub blackboard chalk all across the tread. Drive foreward about 1 car lenght. Look at the chalk. It should be worn off fairly evenly across the tread pattern. If it's heavy on the outside and light in the middle, there's too much pressure.

Of course, a tire purometer would be much more accurate. If you can get your hands on one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.