Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I've got 4 tire gages and non of them are within 5 #s of each other. Two of them are expensive and two are cheap. However, the cheap ones are closer to the regulator on my compressor but they are still not close enough for a "warm fuzzy feelin". Anyone have a suggestion for calibration? :confused:
Thanks,
Ron

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
I know what you mean. I have a Moroso dial type that pretty accurate, within about 2 lbs of a known accurate gauge. The actual readings aren't all that important, as long as they are repeatable. At what pressure is there a 5lb discrepancy? If it's 5 off at 50 or 60 lbs, 5 lbs off isn't bad. If it's 5 off at 30lbs, then that could be a problem.

·
3,798 Posts
When you say expensive, what is the ballpark amount? A good gauge should not read more than 5% 0ff at full range. An excellent (and very $) would be in the .05% at full range. The regulator on the compresser could be off more than any of your gauges.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
I have 2 Longrace air gauges and both are repeatable and read the same. If buying a new one look for one that has a round dail face. Most of these will allow the pointer to be adjusted for calibration. Pick a gauge with a range so the pressures you will be wanting are in the middle of that range. Mines 0-60 psi.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,
I believe that the better two gauges cost me about $30 or so. Maybe more. They both have round faces and the variance is in the range from between 25 to 40 LBS. varying by 5 to 6 LBS.
I'll check to see if either of mine are adjustable like Hindsight's Longrace's are.
Thanks,
Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.