Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put heat and sound barrier on my floors, sides and back panels for the interior, and I would like to also spray some heat barrier on the engine-side of the engine compartment panels. I saw the FatMat site but I can't tell if their regular FatMat is heat resistant as well or if it is thick enough, I also can't tell if I need to get the floor liner, and lastly i didn't see any aerosol spray for the engine compartment areas. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Tropically Twisted
1,727 Posts
Some people have used a product called LizardSkin which gets sprayed or rolled on... me and my dad are going to use it for the interior (footboxes, floor). I have heard some good things about it. Just google for it, it should be easy to find.

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Lizardskin is the way to go! Based on formula the military and NASA used for years in aircraft, etc. The heat and sound deadening properties are amazing. The one thing I wish I hadn't been a tight-a$$ on (Its pricey)

I am happy with what I did use which was an aluminum backed carpet padding I purchased from my interior guy.

Good luck

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Where did you guys get the Lizard Skin? I've been looking for it. Do you have a phone number? One ad that I saw said the 2-gallon container is $180 and covers 4500 square feet. This has to be a typo (the coverage, not the price).

·
Senior Charter Member
1,966 Posts
Dynamat Extreme. Buy a large box. Very thin, sticks like crazy...the introduction of heat only makes it adhere better.

If you think you may ever get caught in the rain, I'd stay away from carpet padding with jute felt that has the aluminum facing. Once it's wet you'll have a mess on your hands...

The LizardSkin sounds interesting.

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Drew is not kidding. Jute padding and cotton insulation turn into the biggest mess you have ever seen when wet and really never drys out. GO with dynamat. you can get a bulk pack on ebay for around 120.00 which will be more than enough to do the COBRA. Or you can go with fatmat, but i have not used it on any cars yet. Fatmat is cheaper.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fellas - I just talked to the LizardSkin rep in Michigan. His name is Chris Bridges and his number is 269-352-4503. There is also a rep in AL for any of you Alabama guys (cobrastang). It is $189.00 for a 2 gal. bucket which covers 50 sq. ft. NOT 4500 sq. ft. They recommended spraying it on and they rent sprayers. It is water-based, high solids - very environmentally friendly - so it could probably be done on a driveway with some plastic down. The only downside I can see is that it would cover all the magic marker markings (for rivets and positions) that I have put on the panels from the panel disassembly. Still, I am leaning toward using it on all the panels with some DEI added in the engine compartment and trans tunnel, and some DynaMat for the interior under the carpet. What does everyone else think?

·
Charter Member
1,317 Posts
Does any of the vendors sell it in one gallon containers? I think that two gallons is over kill for our cars.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SnakeBoy - I have not seen one gallon containers, yet. The material is expensive but it sure sounds good.

Another tip from the guy in Leeds, AL. Make sure to save some and use a brush to go back over the rivets.

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Lizard Skin:

Check ANY Hot Rod magazine and you'll fing an ad. Alternatively, call American Pastimes in Sacramento and they should be able to hook you up. 916.944.6600 (just be sure to let them knw that "Karri" sent ya!

·
Charter Member
1,317 Posts
I wonder if the Dynamat or FatMat will stick to this stuff after you put it on your foot boxes?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
According to the guy in Leeds, AL, Dynamat will stick just fine to the LizardSkin after if cures, but he felt like it was overkill. He runs Double D Rod & Custom which is where they did the Hot Rod article on the material. He said he sells all the matting and insulation type material like DynaMat and FatMat and Cool-it and DEI, etc. and he said it's like 20th century technology vs. 21st century technology. I think I am going to spray all my panels with the LizardSkin off the car, and then use DEI on the outside edges in heat areas and DynaMat on the interior as a carpet pad. I'm still not sure how I'm going to keep all the panels organized once their coated because I think I am going to do both sides.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Eats 'm Whole:

Thanks for the PM. I just ordered 2 gallons.

BTW - Lizard Skin sells two products: One is a heat reducer. The second reduces sound. The guy at American Pasttimes said 2 gallons would be enough for a Cobra. You'd need more for a larger car or pickup. It must go on thick, like tar, but it can be sanded smooth and painted. Sounds pretty unique.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,076 Posts
Thanks for the link to the Lizardskin. This could be just what we need for an aircraft project that we are finishing up.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,688 Posts
Why not put it on after your interior is put back to gether. Then you can seal the panels good with silicone and then spray it on after they are sealed.

I have a friend who did it after the car was fully assembled. You have to tape everything off, but we did notice that some of the rattles disappeared and it did reduce the heat a bit.

As far as sound goes, you still have the sidepipes right below your ears, so I can't imagine it really quites the car down much...does it?

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Dan,

Your friend said the LizardSkin reduced the heat A BIT??? For $185, I was hoping to use the footbox as a meatlocker!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The idea with coating everything ahead of time is that it would be easier to apply to all surfaces (top of foot boxes, trans tunnel underside, etc.) and you save some for assembly so that after the silicone cures, you just go back and brush the seams.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
849 Posts
Can this Lizardskin be sprayed on with a regular spray gun or do you have to rent their specialty spraygun? Could it be brushed on and what consistency is it when it's applied? Is it like a rubber coating or rhino lining, smooth, textured, thick?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts