Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I shift up through the gears it backfires. On take off it seems to hessitate a little. The timing is set at 10 and was wondering if bumping the timing up would solve this problem. Possibly to 12 or 14?

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts
Sounds like fuel to me. What's your set up?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Randall, I run mine at 14 to 16 degrees with the jumper pulled. Mine was flatting out around 5200 befor the adjustment ( 10 degrees ) now it runs much stronger all the way to rev limiter, but I do have to run 93 octane to stop pinging.
Good luck, Rob
'91 doner build, MK III all stock, 8.43 in 1/8 mile.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
its hard to tell without knwing what engine you have. My 408 is set at 13 degrees initial timing.

·
Junior Charter Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an 89 EFI 302 bored 30 over with stock heads, mild cam, cobra intake, 65mm throttle body and 1.7 rockers. It does seem like like it's lacking power. This is with the 91 octane.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Start with 12* timing and be sure to check the advance to be sure it's working. No signs of detonation try moveing up to 13-14*.
Going from the stock 10* to 12* will make a small noticable increase in power off idle and low speed. However with timeing at 10* and back fireing. You have another problem causeing that.
What is vacum at idle?
Fuel psi?
Sounds like possible vacum leak,lack of fuel,fouled plugs or bad plug wires.

·
Junior Charter Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You were right. Number 5 spark plug wass fouled. Runs mutch better with timing set at 14. Thanks

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Randall thanks for the feed back. Good to hear when a problem gets solved after posting. Helps a lot of others out when they can read about a problem and what the cure was.
Glad yours was a easy fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.