Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I have a 94 HO 302 that has been converted to a 92 for Mass Flow EFI and has the TB and MAF to match.

My Driver side makes small popping noises, but the passenger side hums nicely.

Idle ranges from 800 to 1300 Revs.

I wanted to check the timing, but I don't know which light to use.

Sears has 2 options, one with advance and one without.

Here is the link for the more expensive unit with advance.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921023000P?vName=Automotive&keyword=timing+light

Summit has one as well, but it doesn't say advance on it like the sears one.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2DG1059&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Which is the one I need?

Thanks,
Ivan

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Summit one has advance on it also 0-60 degrees. The only thing advance does is check your total timing. You want it on zero just to do a base timeing setting. With just doing base a 15.00 autozone light will work.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Base time setting means what?

Do I have to start there and then dial in advance?

I'm not running any boost, should I set the timing at zero?

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
You want to set your base timing to 10 degree advanced, with the SPOUT removed. If you buy a timing light without an advance dial on the back, then you will just shine the timing light on it, turn the dizzy until you achieve 10 degree advanced, then can slowly dial up to, say, 14 or 16 with trial and error of driveability, detonation, etc. But to be safe, an OEM setting of 10 degrees will work.

If you buy a timing light with an advance dial on it, you can simply dial up the advance you want on the timing light, then shine the light on the timing marks, and turn the dizzy until you are at 0 degrees. Make sense?

Greg

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Oh, base timing is the timing as set without the SPOUT in place. When you put the SPOUT back in it's receptacle, that adds in some more timing, to give you "Total Advance". I think the SPOUT adds in something like 20 degrees, plus or minus.

Greg

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Set the timing at 12 degrees. With Efi theres no need to worry about the total advance. That has to do with recurving the distributor and the ecm takes care of that. You do have to unplug a wire on the dist. so the computer wont re-adjust your setting.

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
I'm a slow typer. Greg already beat me to the ounch.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Inexpensive light will work. dial back light is nice if you plan to use it often and on other cars since it makes checking total advance easy.
Get a vacum gauge while your ordering the light. Very helpfull tool for very little cost.
check for an exaust leak with popping out one side ;)

·
Charter Member
574 Posts
If I read your post right, your issue doesn't seem to be timing. If on bank of cylinders is running/sounding different, there is some other issue going on. Timing is going to effect all cylinders equally. There is probably 1-2 cylinders that are having issues. Pull the plugs on the one side that is popping and see if you can see a different look to the plugs. Pay attention to the cylinders with the longest plug wires and plug wire routing. H.S. could also have something with the exhaust leak...especially noticable with a quick return to base RPM....

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the Craftsman with advance dial on it last night. Planed on setting the timing tomorrow.

SPOUT? Sorry, what is that?

Vacuum gauge. Where do I hook that up and how would I check for exhaust leaks?

Would the exhaust leaks be due to loose header bolts?

Slightly more confused now, but that seems to be the way of things just before the light goes on.

Boy I hope the light goes on.

Thanks again,
Ivan

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
The SPOUT is a small square piece of plasic, perhaps 3/4" square, and is located about 6 inches before the main wire harness connector that plugs into the distributor. It's on the same main line as the distributor plug. You must take this out, simply by pulling with your fingers, before you set base timing. SPOUT stands for "Spark Out".

You can hook the vacuum gauge up to any of the vacuum fittings on the back or front of the intake manifold, where all the little vacuum lines connect. Simply disconnect one of them (heater would be a good one), and plug the vacuum gauge into that location.

Yes, the exhaust leak could be due to loose header bolts. The bolts come loose, and small portion of the header gasket gets burned up, or blown out. I have the same problem right now, and the small portion of the header gasket that's blown out sounds like a small "tick" when the engine is idling. Locking, Stage 8 header bolts will fix the problem permanently. They can be purchased from Max at 5 Star for around $55.

If you want some "live" help, PM me, and we can hook up on the phone any evening, and I can walk you through some of this stuff, if you'd like.

Greg

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Greg,

Thanks. I have been trying to get the S/N off the block for almost 2 weeks now (the most impossible place on a 94 block). I'm going to give it one more try tonight and then if I still can't get it I'll just say that it's illegible (which isn't a lie).

Sorry long rant.

I appreciate the offer. PM forthcoming.

Thanks again,
Ivan

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Oh, it's a 94 engine? In that case, the SPOUT will be against the passenger side engine bay wall, near the strut tower, not close to the distributor (or would've been in the Mustang).

Greg

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Greg gave you great info. Just like to add when connecting the vacum gauge.The goal is to see manifold vacum. Your looking for a steady needle reading about 16" if stock camed motor.
The fact you have a hunting idle, that changes from hi to lo rpms. Indicates a possible vacum leak,that can also cause popping along with the loose header bolts. It could also mean the tbs needs to be calibrated.
Let us know what the findings are first as far as vacum reading and where timing is.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Ivan that gauge will work but,it's made for dash install. Look in Summits tool section. They have vacum gauges for diognostic work. It will have the hose connection comming out the side opposed to the rear like dash mount gauge would.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got it, on order at the local NAPA. Should be in tomorrow morning.

Will let you know what I find.

Cheers and good weekend,
Ivan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts