Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to paint the wheels Wimbleton White to match the stripes, but wanted a little sparkle, so I shot some Clear loaded with Silver flake over the white. I was surprised how the warm white basically went away with the overcoat. But it is interesting, can't really categorize it. Painted the Spinner recess Carmine Red to match the body color. Here's before and after, what do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think your results look fantastic. Car color is equally as nice. Care to share colors?

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
car colors

I think your results look fantastic. Car color is equally as nice. Care to share colors?

Scott
Thx Scott!

-Body is Carmine Red (Dupont 43019) ; solid color no metallic. Very similar to BMW Imola Red
- Stripes are Ford Wimbleton White; solid color no metallic

Why this Red....I bought my first new car in 1975, a VW Scirocco in Homer Simpson Lemon Lime metallic. Really loud color, but I loved it and the plaid seats! About a month later my neighbor at the apartment complex bought a Triumph TR6 in Carmine Red, Tan leather, redline tires, and he parked next to me all the time. After a month, of admiring the TR6, I admitted I had bought a clown car!! I vowed someday to have a Carmine Red car. If you watch PBS mystery shows, alot of the classic British cars are painted this color also. Bunty on Father Brown has an older MG, I think, in this color.

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
Dave, I think it looks great! Very subtle. The white blends with the silver outside portion of the rim really well. And I like the accents.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
spinner decals

Looks great. Where did you get that Cobra emblem on the spinners?
I got them at Finishline in 2014, I just checked their website and they don't seem to have the smaller diameter decals anymore. They have a 3" aluminum decal like this but not the smaller ones I used, I think they were roughly 1.5" diameter.

I cut a 2mm recess into the spinner face on my lathe so the decals sit sub surface, no problem in 5 years with coming loose.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wheel paint

Brilliant - was that a wet paint or powder-coat?

How do you plan to care for them, polish them, etc.?
Wet paint from Dupli-Color...Acrylic Lacquer.

The polished lip came that way from Team III with no coating applied, I use some Mothers aluminum polish twice a year to shine them up and a good carnauba wax coating.

On the centers, I use spray carnuba from FAST WAX....seems to protect fairly well, but yeah an Epoxy clear would be ideal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts