Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Time to Install Seats - Have some Questions

315 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  DrewFFRCobra 
#1 ·
Background:
FFR Vintage Racer Leather seats (fiberglass bucket with leather covers)
Summit seat sliders

Questions:
1. The FFR seat slider instructions say to remove the stud that is onthe sliders as it is not used. Remember, I bought my sliders from Summit. I thought the FFR and Summit sliders were the same. I tried to remove the studs, but it appears that mine are spot welded in. I tried pounding them out with a mallet, but they wouldn't budge. Any ideas as to why I can't remove the studs? Or conversely, how I can remove the studs?

2. The seats are fiberglass and I've been told (and believe) that they are hollow. Is it correct that I need to drill access holes to be able to bolt them down? I'm also assuming that I need to drill the holes from the top? Is this correct? (when I was told to drill access holes, I first thought on the sides of the seat.

3. The seats are very reclined. Should I worry about the location of the sliders as I'm installing these seats?

Thanks,
Chuck

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the basic FFR seats and a Summit slider on the driver side too.

Cut off the studs and then drill out the remaining portion of the stud. Use new bolts to connect seat to sliders. You need to remove the screws from the bottom of the seat cushion to connect the sliders to the seat bottom.

Maybe these pictures will help:

Hope this helps.

Drew
FFR#3928

#3 ·
Getting ready to do the same thing maybe this weekend. Thanks for the post and the pics!

Ted

#4 ·
1. I was able to remove my studs by cutting off the corners were the studs were pressed in with a dremmel. I tried my BFH and this was the only thing that worked.

2. The classic seats are hollow and I drilled one inch holes in the top of the seat so I could attach my bolts to the frame. After the seat covers are installed it is impossible to notice the cut outs.

3. I used washers under my seat trackes to raise the rear of my vintage seats 3/4 of an inch.

Good luck!

#7 ·
Thanks guys. Note that this setup does raise you up off the floor (the top of the seat cushion to the floor is about 6"). The intent was to provide a stable and secure mounting platform for the seats and enough room for the sliders to work once insulation and carpet was in place. All four mounting points tap into the FFR frame (2 rears are in the 2x3 frame, right/front is in the 4" frame, and the left/front is in the 3/4" tube). The square and flat tubing on top of the sliders keeps the tracks square once the seat is bolted to the tops.

Note that the front tube on top of the sliders is 1" square...I'm 6' tall and this provides a comfortable amount of support for the back of my thighs at the expense of the top of my thighs being close to the steering wheel (hard to enter and exit the Cobra). I'm probably going to either:

- replace the 1" tube with a 3/4" or 1/2" square tube to gain back space between my thigh and the steering wheel; or (most likely)

- I'm going to cut the seat foam in half to gain back the leg to steering wheel clearance and get me sitting a little lower in the Cobra

Regarding the passenger side, I can take some pictures and post later, but I created a seat base from 1" tube that mimics the driver's side but does not slide.

Yes, the Dremel is a Cobra builder's best friend!

Drew
FFR#3928

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.