Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I'm faced with a dilema that I'm sure all of you have ecountered. I need a shed to get the crap out of the garage (snow blower, riding mower, etc.)so I have more room to work on the Cobra. I don't want apiece of junk that's going to fall apart in a year, so...

Do I spend the money on a decent shed, about $2000+, or do I save half and build one myself?

Of course, the catch is I'll save a grand to use toward the car, but spend three or more weekends building the darn shed. I hate when this happens!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
985 Posts
I spent the 1st fall after picking up my kit adding on to the garage. Seems after 30 plus years the wife wanted her car in the garage if I was putting a toy in it. Didn't work as I've successfully claimed the entire 24x36 space.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,041 Posts
Lou, better price out the lumber,I looked at doing it both ways and it was about the same money.In the end I just bought a shed,concidering my lack of self control(see captain overkill) and how far I went over budget on my car it was the rite choice.
Mike

·
Daily Driver since 2/03
995 Posts
you could also rent some space. it may incent you to build faster too.

·
8,356 Posts
Sell the stuff and get a yard service...problem solved! Really, crunch the numbers; sell stuff + saving on shed = how many months of yard service. Just keep a snow shovel, and rough it, if you are able, or get the kid next door/down the street to do it. When your build is complete, consider your position, then buy back used stuff, if you need to. HTH.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,456 Posts
PEPBOYS has A NICE SHED FOR $500.00 Right NOW check it out!

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
You might look into used shipping containers. I have one at my house for all the yard tools, rhino, etc. Dollar for dollar, they are much better than wood sheds. Just make sure they are allowed where you live.

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Whatever you build, you might as well make it nice and permanent. After all, when you finish the Cobra, where do you think you'll build the Coupe/GT-40/GTM.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Mike has a good point. When I looked at doing this the cost of the materials was almost equal to the price of the finished shed. I was only going to save $200-300 doing it myself. Once I figured this out I was happy to pay for the installed, pre-fab shed. Now there are no more kid bikes (4) or yard tools in the garage!

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Yep, same problem...time/money.

I just put a monetary value on all my time (sometimes the wife doesn't like it :D ). Then make the call based on whether it's "worth my time". I usually weight my decisions with a fun factor.

Have a shed delivered ;) more money will come

c

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,884 Posts
I bought a Home Depot shed kit for 900. The prebuilt plus delivery was over 1500. It was not bad, go for it!

·
Junior Charter Member
791 Posts
Same as BIL1024, I like to build things but knew an entire shed would take me a while and really add to my wifes nagging pile...
I found a truss co. locally that builds the trusses/walls to my size (8X12) and style to satisfy the future HOA, painting it red to match the house.

Aready built was $1500 + delivery/ setup,
Kit costs <$800 and they deliver to my yard on a pallet for free. I have to add paint/ shingles and stand up the walls/ nail,screw or bolt them down. This kit should cut my time by 2/3 over building from scratch.

This works out better for me as I plan to take the shed with me if I move again, I can use lag bolts to hold it together and diassamble/ reassemble as needed or just move it with a flatbed.
Jon

·
Premium Member
5,527 Posts
I've been building my shed for 3 years and it's still not done.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,435 Posts
My shed took all summer to build and still cost me almost as much as a pre-made one. I built it better than the premade ones are built. But it cost me a summer...

-Mike

·
Junior Charter Member
117 Posts
We are getting a metal structure that is actually a carport but you can order sides and a rear panel and a front with either two regular doors or a rool-up garage door. $895.00 instaled for the carport and $300.00 for each side, 18' x 21'. Its a good size and what I like about it is it is flexable. Use it to store things until you need them or use it as garage for the cars once its done. Take sides off or leave them on. You might noit have to worry but we do, they're not hurricane rated but easy enough to take down if you have to.

·
Junior Charter Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys. I found a shed kit from an online supplier basically for the cost of the materials. I'll get my 17 year old to help me bang it together over a couple of weekends. Price is around $1500 which seems like a good comprimise between time and money.

Lou

1 - 16 of 16 Posts