Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting fittings into my aluminum Edelbrock manifold and got wondering how do you gauge tightening a brass fitting into an aluminum manifold? I am putting in the reducer for the water temp and the fitting for the heater hose but have no idea how much to tighten.

Thanks,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
You'll be relying on thread sealer here instead of brute force. Because pipe threads are tapered, damage to the fittings starts to occur if overtightened, or cracking the female part like the cast oil filter adapter.
Don't use teflon tape for electrical senders that need a good ground path.
Regular fine-grain pipe dope will work, my favorite being Rector-seal #5 (linseed oil type, I think). Loctite thread sealer (the white stuff) is good (alcohol based).
Probably the best pipe dope is called Leak-Lock, which has the same chemistry as Locktite thread-locker products (hardens in the absence of air) but can be hard to find.

·
Tropically Twisted
1,727 Posts
I'll agree with Mike, Leak-Lock is probably the best stuff ever made for pipe threads.

·
Charter Member
1,646 Posts
I'm getting ready to install my sensors, can anyone tell me where each sensor goes? I have one for water temp, oil temp, and oil pres. I also have one for my fan so it turns on and off at certain temps.
Thanks,
Lile

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Lile the oil psi goes into the block above the oil filter location. Oil temp most times goes into the oil pan. Water temp and fan switch go into manifold and or thermostat housing.
I use the white teflon pipe thread sealer made by lock tite on the manifold fittings. Only need to be more then snug but not tight as a bolt or nut would be since like mentioned they rely on their tapered threads to seal.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hindsight:

You mention oil temp goes in the pan. I have a stock pan...is there any provision for it there?

Jerry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts