Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about an Alpine or a Tiger as a second toy. Is it easy to drop a 302 into an Alpine ;) like Mr. Xxxxxx did ? You would have a top, heater maybe A/C. :cool: Alpines seem to be reasonably priced. With all these experienced folks out there some one must have done this right? Wouldn't be as cool as a Coupe but a little environmental protection would go a long ways up in the Midwest.

·
Senior Charter Member
337 Posts
I ask my buddy who has owned both Tigers and Alpines for over 20 years. The Alpines needed major engine compartment modifications to accomodate the SBF, including a revised firewall.

So it can't be easily done. I'm sure more Alpines would have become Tigers by now if this was easy to do.

Some Alpine owners have swapped in a Mazda Rotary or a modern turbocharged four.

Steven

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
Hey gasser,
I was also toying with the same idea...I almost got a Sunbeam Alpine here in California and slowly fix it up and install a 5.0 in it (since I had a few donors (now sold), but it does require a lot of work, so I gave up.
Today I was looking thru the SoCal Shelby Club Website and found this page of a local member that has a Tiger, (I've seen it at the meetings and it is awesome!) :
Mike Sutter's 1966 Sunbeam Tiger

added:
Want to learn even more about Sunbeam Tigers and their history? Click here

[ June 29, 2002, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: FFCars4Me ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
323 Posts
I have a little input on sunbeams (BTW this is Tom Zedaker 's Brother Pete speaking under his username) The tiger community is an odd duck. A lot of purists that love origanal VIN tag rivits and orignal welds. Then there are the Alger owners (Alpines converted to tigers)As a kit car enthusiest, you know it doesen't matter as long as you are enjoying yourself. As for converting an alpine, it is doable as long as you like cutting and welding.Motor mounts can be bought on ebay (or fabricated)and a transmission mount is pretty easy to fab up. Of course you need a good radiator (Griffen) then there is the steering rack 5.0 mustang welded to the X-member. Then The X frame has to be notched for the exaust to pass through.If a fuel injected 5.0 is used then the firewall has to be cut into in order to fit the upper intake. Did I mention the alpine rear end has to be replaced (9 inch ford or 8.8 shortened)or there will be british lehland gear teeth as far as the eye can see. But if you do it right you come out with a spectacular car. And there is nothing like hearing people yell whoa!, Tiger! when you are driving. I do have a stripped Series 5 Alpine I am considering selling -Pete

·
FFCobra Fanatic
888 Posts
A few years ago I was on this same kick. I had gotten as far as having both a rust free alpine and a clapped out, rotted COMPLETE Tiger sitting side by side in my driveway. Even with 100% of the parts needed to make a Tiger clone I passed on it as I had no welding skills at the time. This is not a simple conversion even though the cars look identical from the outside. I had owned a real Tiger back in the mid sixties (with a 289 out of my wifes 1965 Mustang) and thought it would be fun to have another one. Bad idea!

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Don't bother with the Alpine. We've still got the Tiger I drove in high school and love the car to death. In fact, I decided to get the Spec Racer partially because the handling characteristics are similar to the Tiger. The Tigers tend to be better taken care of and have appreciated nicely. There is a perception in the Tiger community that if you converted an Alpine that you are trying to hide things and people look at you like you are hitting on their sister, even if you are open and honest about it. Unfortunately, the low resale value on Alpines means that not many are in good shape.

If you do something, go with the Tiger.

In all fairness though, you may want to rethink your idea as a 'foul weather back-up'. The electronics are still by Lucas. The defroster is um, um, um... Soft-tops still leak a little. Heat is inconsistent in the car (but warm). You can drive the Tiger in the rain in an emergency, but it isn't the most fun. A Tiger in the snow is soon to become an insurance claim.

http://www.elams.org/toys/Tiger/thumbs/Page1.html

Note the Tigers East patch on the suit with the Cobra at Nazareth!

[ July 01, 2002, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: danelam ]

·
1,033 Posts
You guys would have to bring a little car up that I dream about owning
. Dang, now here I go again wanting a Tiger........David!!!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
Its been a long time since my tiger days and yes it was one of the cars I wish I never sold I'd have to say its an alpine. It appears to have manual brakes all the tigers I believe came with vacume assist. Also it seems to have the front badging but no stripe both suggest 4 cyl upbringing. One thing I do remember and this is going back about 15 yrs is that parts are real expensive and hard to come by You could probably build a coupe for winter for less than dropping a V8 in that beater.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
616 Posts
There's one in Kansas City for around $20k. It has been converted to a SBF. I think it has something around 400hp. If you're interested, I can get you a contact number.

·
2,372 Posts
I have owned 3 Alpines and 2 Tigers. The Tiger is definetly NOT a foul weather car!Even in nice conditions it will understeer horribly. This can be corrected by powering out the rear,but it will come around on you real quick.
The Alpine to Tiger conversion is not a simple one, and you will probably end up with a car that is less well mannered than an FFR.
I love the cars but your best bet is to find a Tiger from the get go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts